James Philip Owens
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 11", Weight: 180 lb.
Born: January 16, 1934 in Gifford, PA
High School: Bradford HS (Bradford, PA)
Signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an amateur free agent in 1951.
Debut: April 19, 1955 (Age 21.093, 8,841st in MLB history)
vs. BRO 5.1 IP, 8 H, 3 SO, 3 BB, 5 ER, L
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1959 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Phillies/Astros/Colt.45's/Reds 1955-1967
Last Game: June 20, 1967 (Age 33.155)
vs. STL 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
About biographical information
News -- May 2016
- 5/22 1960s Baseball Blog: Heady Hustle:
Glancing Back, and Remembering Cookie Rojas
While certainly not the most athletically talented infielder of his era,...
News -- January 2015
- 1/16 What the Heck, Bobby?: Happy Birthday - 1/16: No future Astros with birthdays today, but two former Astros celebrate the day ~RHP Jim Owens (81)Drafted by Houston from...
News -- May 2014
- 5/11 Phillies Nation: This Week in Phillies’ History- May 11-18: There has been an awful lot of Phillies baseball that has been played since 1883- close to 20,000 games in fact. A lot can happen...
News -- January 2014
- 1/16 What the Heck, Bobby?: Happy Birthday - 1/16: No future Astros, but two former Astros celebrate birthdays today ~RHP Jim Owens (80)Drafted by Houston from the Reds in...
News -- April 2011
- 4/3 Caught Looking: 2011 Season: Opening Day, Part II: LEAD OFF It didn’t take Adam Dunn very long to adapt to that American League pitching. The White Sox big free agent pickup...