James Jerome O'Toole
Bats: Both, Throws: Left
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 190 lb.
Born: January 10, 1937 in Chicago, IL
High School: Leo HS (Chicago, IL)
School: University of Wisconsin at Madison (Madison, WI)
Signed by the Cincinnati Redlegs as an amateur free agent in 1957.
Debut: September 26, 1958 (Age 21.259, 9,210th in MLB history)
vs. MLN 7.0 IP, 4 H, 4 SO, 5 BB, 1 ER, L
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1959 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Reds/Redlegs/WhiteSox 1958-1967
Final Game: July 22, 1967 (Age 30.193)
vs. KCA 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Relatives: Brother of Denny O'Toole
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- August 2014
- 8/4 Redlegs Review: Barry Larkin bobblehead now available on weekends in August: As a kid growing up in the 1990s, with a particular affinity for the Cincinnati Reds, one player who I always tried to imitate...
News -- June 2014
- 6/16 The Cardboard Examiner: DESPITE THE WRINKLES, IT TWINKLES: When you're hell-bent on trying to complete a vintage set as I am with the 1965 Topps release, you can develop tunnel vision when...
News -- May 2014
- 5/11 Phillies Nation: This Week in Phillies’ History- May 11-18: There has been an awful lot of Phillies baseball that has been played since 1883- close to 20,000 games in fact. A lot can happen...
News -- March 2014
- 3/14 The Writer's Journey: Four out of five Reds Hall of Fame bobbleheads announced: Sparky Anderson, Jim O’Toole, Eric Davis, and Barry Larkin will be the first four bobbleheads offered to Reds Hall of Fame...
News -- October 2013
- 10/23 The Writer's Journey: Reds Hall of Fame Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday: The best team-specific museum in the world is hosting Fan Appreciation Day this coming Saturday, featuring discounts on admission,...
News -- October 2012
- 10/26 Blog Red Machine: Arroyo’s Days in Cincinnati Have Been ‘Steady’: I recall during this past season where Thom Brennaman referenced the career of Bronson Arroyo. He said it won’t be known...
News -- June 2012
- 6/21 The Writer's Journey: Reds Hall of Fame gets TV coverage: FOX Sports Ohio To Cover Reds Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony During Pregame On-Field Ceremony The Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame...
- 6/17 The Writer's Journey: Before The Machine by Mark J. Schmetzer (2011): Before The Machine: The Story of the 1961 Pennant-Winning Cincinnati Reds by Mark J. Schmetzer Clerisy Press, 2011 280 pages When...
- 6/13 The Writer's Journey: Before The Machine by Mark J. Schmetzer (2011): Before The Machine: The Story of the 1961 Pennant-Winning Cincinnati Reds by Mark J. Schmetzer Clerisy Press, 2011 280 pages When...
News -- December 2011
- 12/8 The Writer's Journey: Redsfest 2011: Jim O’Toole: Confession time: I really don’t know why I get Jim O’Toole‘s autograph each year. Perhaps I’m just too...
News -- May 2011
- 5/26 The Writer's Journey: Gypsy Queen – Jim O’Toole: I never got to see Jim O’Toole pitch…his career ended eight years before I was born. But I have met him at the Redsfest....
News -- February 2011
- 2/11 The Writer's Journey: I’m quite the idiot: In all my excitement, I neglected to check if I actually needed a 1960 Gordy Coleman card. As it turns out, I’ve already...
News -- October 2010
- 10/9 B-R Blog: Young Starters In The Post-Season: Phil Hughes is 24.29 years old at this moment and will be starting Game 3 of the 2010 ALDS for the Yankees this evening. How...