Anthony John Mullane
(Count or The Apollo Of The Box)
Positions: Pitcher, Outfielder and Third Baseman
Bats: Both, Throws: Unknown
Mullane threw left-handed a handful of times.
Height: 5' 10", Weight: 165 lb.
Born: January 30, 1859 in Cork, Ireland
Debut: August 27, 1881 (Age 22.209, 506th in MLB history)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1882 season [*]
Teams (by GP): RedStockings/Reds/BlueStockings/Browns/Eclipse/... 1881-1894
Last Game: July 26, 1894 (Age 35.177)
Died: April 25, 1944 in Chicago, IL
Buried: Holy Sepulchre Catholic Cemetery, Worth, IL
About biographical information
News -- March 2015
- 3/21 Golden Gate Sports: Pat Venditte: Novelty Act or the Real Deal?: If you were to look around at major league teams' starting lineups on any given day, odds are that the majority of teams...
- 3/3 James Smyth Broadcast: Most Consecutive Seasons with a Different Opening Day Starter: Pitcher: The Oakland Athletics have an interesting streak going. Over the last nine seasons, their starting rotation ERA is the lowest...
News -- December 2013
- 12/16 James Smyth Broadcast: Sporcle: Leading the League in Strikeouts and Walks: There have been 46 seasons (by 28 pitchers) in which a hurler led their league in both strikeouts and walks allowed. How many...
News -- April 2013
- 4/15 Not in the Hall of Fame: 25. Tony Mullane: How many people pointed at Bert Blylevenâs 287 career wins year after year and championed his Hall of Fame cause? We donât...
News -- March 2013
- 3/8 Radical Baseball: Bats/Throws: Executive Summary: OK, maybe the previous summary post was a bit too detailed.
Both: switch hitters
RR: bats right, throws right
News -- January 2013
- 1/23 Wahoo Sam: The Hall of Fame case for Tony Mullane: If nickname quality was the most important criteria for election to the Baseball Hall of Fame, Tony Mullane would have been inducted...
News -- December 2012
- 12/5 Call to the Pen: Jacob Ruppert, Hank O’Day, Deacon White Go Into Hall Of Fame: While everyone else was going crazy trying to dissect what is going to happen during this month’s vote on modern-day players...
News -- November 2012
- 11/30 Wahoo Sam: The Hall of Fame case for Tony Mullane: If nickname quality was the most important criteria for election to the Baseball Hall of Fame, Tony Mullane would have been inducted...
- 11/29 Call to the Pen: Hall Of Fame Nominee Marty Marion: Marty Marion, who died last year in his nineties, knew he was never going to be elected to the Hall of Fame based on his hitting...
- 11/19 Call to the Pen: Hall of Fame Nominee, Switch-Pitcher Tony Mullane: Some days when I review the Hall of Fame candidacies of baseball players who competed in the 19th century I marvel at the information...
News -- October 2012
- 10/26 Blog Red Machine: Arroyo’s Days in Cincinnati Have Been ‘Steady’: I recall during this past season where Thom Brennaman referenced the career of Bronson Arroyo. He said it won’t be known...
News -- June 2012
- 6/9 Not in the Hall of Fame: 17. Tony Mullane: How many people pointed at Bert Blylevenâs 287 career wins year after year and championed his Hall of Fame cause? We...
News -- March 2012
- 3/17 High Heat Stats: Emerald Isle Nine: A St. Patrick’s Day Tribute to players born in the Emerald Isle. Here’s the All-Ireland All-Star team SP – Tommy...
News -- January 2012
- 1/11 High Heat Stats: WAAS for Pitchers: (For an explanation of the Wins Above All-Star Level method, as well as position-player values, see previous post.)The following...
News -- December 2010
- 12/22 The Captain's Blog: The Evangelical Outfielder: Billy Sundayâ€™s Rise from the National League to the National Consciousness: (This is theÂ second inÂ a series on infamous or controversialÂ historical figures who also had aÂ notable associationÂ with baseball....
News -- August 2010
- 8/22 B-R Blog: Chris Carpenter’s W-L record with the Cardinals: Last night Chris Carpenter improved to 14-4 this season by beating Tim Lincecum and the Giants. His overall record since joining...
Complete a Short Survey
to help us
improve our mobile sites.
Do you use B-R on your phone?