Darryl DeWayne Motley
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 9", Weight: 196 lb.
Born: January 21, 1960 in Muskogee, OK
High School: Grant HS (Portland, OR)
Drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 2nd round of the 1978 amateur draft.
Debut: August 10, 1981 (Age 21.201, 12,070th in MLB history)
vs. BAL 5 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1983 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Royals/Braves 1981-1987
Last Game: May 17, 1987 (Age 27.116)
vs. PIT 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
About biographical information
News -- September 2014
- 9/22 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–September 22, 1984: 1984: Bud Black struck out seven hitters in six innings, while Darryl Motley doubled, tripled, and drove in two runs as the Royals...
- 9/6 Kings of Kauffman: Royals are in Unfamiliar Territory for Younger Fans: Every so often, there are things that get pointed out online that spark some interest, even if they are not, in a conventional...
News -- August 2014
- 8/25 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–August 25, 1981: 1981: The Tigers put together three singles in the 10th inning for a walkoff 4-3 win over the Royals at Tiger Stadium in Detroit.Facing...
- 8/8 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–August 8, 1984: 1984: The Royals could muster only seven hits as they dropped a 3-2 loss to Milwaukee at Royals Stadium.Brewers starter Don Sutton...
News -- June 2014
- 6/24 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–June 24, 1984: 1984: Dane Iorg hit a sacrifice fly in the top of the ninth for the winning run in the Royals’ 3-2 victory over California at...
News -- May 2014
- 5/11 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–May 11, 1986: 1986: Charlie Leibrandt allowed only five hits in eight innings. Unfortunately, one of them was a Rick Dempsey grand slam in the...
News -- April 2014
- 4/26 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–April 26, 1985: 1985: The Royals committed four errors and dealt out six walks, two things that make it hard to win any game. But when Roger Clemens...
News -- January 2014
- 1/6 SABER BUCS: Travis Snider: Late Blooming Moss or the Next Darryl Motley?: It’s no surprise that the list of players who are most comparable to Travis Snider does not contain any current or future...
News -- March 2013
- 3/13 Motor City Bengals: No Need to Bash Boesch: “For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.’” -John Greenleaf Whittier...
News -- February 2013
- 2/5 Kings of Kauffman: Remember When the Royals Traded Away Cecil Fielder?: Player evaluation is never an exact science. Often, a team makes a trade that looks completely inconsequential at the time and,...
News -- August 2012
- 8/7 Royally Speaking: The Betancourt Legacy: I'll never forget the day I learned Dayton Moore brought Yuniesky Betancourt back into the fold. Marlon Brando's death scene...
News -- March 2012
- 3/30 High Heat Stats: Out Machine Redux – It’s Not Just Rollins and Pierre: How often have Juan Pierre and Jimmy Rollins had outs in a season totalling 75% of their PAs? You might be surprised to know that...