John Lester Moss
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 11", Weight: 205 lb.
Born: May 14, 1925 in Tulsa, OK
High School: Central HS (Tulsa, OK)
Signed by the St. Louis Browns as an amateur free agent in 1942.
Debut: September 10, 1946 (Age 21.119)
vs. PHA 3 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1947 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Browns/WhiteSox/Orioles/RedSox 1946-1958
Final Game: September 1, 1958 (Age 33.110)
vs. CLE 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: August 29, 2012 in Longwood, FL
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- February 2014
- 2/15 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Gromek Gives Tribe First Weekend Win with Complete Game; Indians 4, Browns 1: September 11, 1948 In a weekend sure to fill even the biggest fans with their share of baseball, Steve Gromek started a busy weekend...
- 2/7 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Indians Rally Not Enough, Lose Nightcap and Ground in Standings; Browns 4, Indians 3: With an opportunity to make up a half game on the Boston Red Sox in the standings, and at least hold pat with the New York Yankees,...
News -- January 2014
- 1/22 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Zoldak Shuts Out Browns, Tribe Moves Up 3 in Standings; Indians 3, Browns 0: It’s not a nice way to treat old friends, but hopefully the Browns will understand. Former St. Louis Browns’ pitcher Sam Zoldak...
- 1/16 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Zoldak Beaten by Old Mates—Tribe drops Game One; Browns 8, Indians 4: August 12, 1948 It’s certainly not the homecoming that Sam Zoldak was hoping for, but it is the one that he is going to have...
- 1/15 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Lemon Struggles but still Wins; Indians 7, Browns 5: August 11, 1948 Bob Lemon (15-10, 3.03) “earned” his 15th win of the season Wednesday afternoon as the Tribe took game one...
News -- December 2013
- 12/15 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Feller Outdueled By Homer in Ninth; Browns 3, Indians 2: July 11, 1948 In a pitcher’s duel that saw one hurler get stronger as the game continued and another weaken, it was Bob Feller...
News -- November 2013
- 11/4 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Tribe Shutout In Game Two, Remain in Second Place; Browns 6, Indians 0: May 31, 1948 For the second straight day the Indians had a chance to take two games from a lower division team and were unsuccessful....
News -- October 2013
- 10/3 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Boudreau and Lemon Lead Tribe to Sixth Win in a Row; Indians 5, Browns 2: April 29, 1948 The win streak reached six games this afternoon, when a new town provided acceptable weather for the Tribe to play....
News -- March 2013
- 3/27 Call to the Pen: Virgil Trucks Brought The Heat: Somehow it was inevitable that Virgil Trucks‘ nickname would be “Fire.” Fire Trucks could throw a wicked fastball and...
News -- November 2012
- 11/24 Through The Fence Baseball: Second time with same club not always a charm for managers: As recently as last weekend, the Toronto Sun was reporting that the Toronto Blue Jays’ managerial search had been narrowed down...
News -- May 2011
- 5/1 The Captain's Blog: Will April Showers Bring May Flowers for Jorge Posada?: April has usually been very kind to Jorge Posada. Entering 2011, he had posted an impressive line of .282/.380/.510 during the...