John Alexander McPhee
Position: Second Baseman
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 8", Weight: 152 lb.
Born: November 1, 1859 in Massena, NY
Signed as a Free Agent with the Cincinnati Red Stockings in 1882.
Debut: May 2, 1882 (Age 22.182, 517th in MLB history)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1882 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Reds/RedStockings 1882-1899
Last Game: October 15, 1899 (Age 39.348)
Died: January 3, 1943 in San Diego, CA
Buried: Cypress View Mausoleum, San Diego, CA
Inducted into the Hall of Fame by Veteran's Committee as Player in 2000.
View Bid McPhee Page at the Baseball Hall of Fame (plaque, photos, videos).
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- May 2016
- 5-2 Did The Tribe Win Last Night?: Cleveland’s League Park Celebrates 125th Anniversary of its First Game: Sunday marked the 125th anniversary of the first game at ClevelandĂ˘Â€Â™s League Park. Cy Young was the starting pitcher for the...
News -- February 2016
- 2-24 OutsidePitchMLB: Brandon Phillips rising in Cincinnati Reds records book: Brandon Phillips is rising up some of the all-time lists in the records book of the Cincinnati Reds. With everyday at-bats, Phillips...
News -- July 2015
- 7-23 Shoestring Catches: Baseball History: Hall of Fame Inductions: This time of year my focus always turns to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. A visit to the induction ceremony should be on...
News -- February 2014
- 2-17 Blog Red Machine: Who Belongs on Reds Mount Rushmore?:
For Gutzon Borglum and son Lincoln, the creation of Mount Rushmore took 14 years of painstaking, minute precision. History...
News -- January 2014
- 1-8 James Smyth Broadcast: Maddux, Glavine and Being Inducted Together: The Baseball Hall of Fame voting results were just announced and Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas are all headed to...
News -- December 2013
- 12-1 Tomahawk Take: Morning Chop: Atlanta Braves’ News 12/1: Morning Chop: Summary of Atlanta Braves’ News Braves duo could make history with joint Hall induction MLB.com Greg...
News -- June 2013
- 6-11 Blog Red Machine: Reds Fans Blessed Watching Brandon Phillips and Joe Morgan: Brandon Phillips had himself a game last evening. Cranking a grand slam (if you could see it though all that fog) and driving...
News -- February 2013
- 2-28 Blog Red Machine: The Other Greatest Second Baseman In Reds History: This second baseman had 6,545 **** the most by a second baseman in major league history. Ă‚Â 529 of those came in one season, also...
News -- December 2012
News -- March 2012
- 3-19 The Writer's Journey: The Cincinnati Reds by Mark Stewart (Team Spirit series, 2012): The Cincinnati Reds by Mark Stewart (Team Spirit series) Norwood House Press, 2012 48 pages Looking for a way to get your kids...
News -- February 2012
- 2-17 High Heat Stats: Gary Carter 1954-2012: The inevitable has happened, with Gary Carter’s passing today from cancer. Carter had a very large personality and had a...
News -- January 2012
- 1-10 High Heat Stats: WAAS: Wins Above All-Star Level: (Errors in the HOF list in an earlier version of this post have been corrected.)In two recent columns (insider),...
- 1-9 Fragile Freddy's: Barry Larkin - Hall of Famer!: Congratulations to the newest member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame; Barry Louis Larkin!!!Larkin was a great all around...
News -- January 2011
- 1-11 B-R Blog: Mailbag: Biggest Differences Between HR Leader and Runner-Up: Here's a question from Ehud: "Jose Bautista was the AL home run king in 2010, while the second-place HR leader (Paul Konerko)...
News -- May 2010
- 5-24 B-R Blog: 10 for 10: #8 Player Photos, pre-1960: This post is the eighth in our series of ten new features for our tenth anniversary.
Examples: Hank Aaron, Mordecai Brown, Bid...
News -- March 2011
- 3-18 B-R Blog: Bloops: The Hall of (Peak-Weighted) WAR: Here's a cool link from Adam Darowski: Hall of wWAR: The Hall of Fame Re-Po**** by Peak-Weighted WAR It is exactly what it sounds...