Willie Edward Jones
Position: Third Baseman
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 188 lb.
Born: August 16, 1925 in Dillon, SC
Signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an amateur free agent in 1947.
Debut: September 10, 1947 (Age 22.025, 8,003rd in MLB history)
vs. STL 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1949 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Phillies/Reds/Redlegs/Indians 1947-1961
Last Game: May 7, 1961 (Age 35.264)
vs. MLN 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: October 18, 1983 in Cincinnati, OH
Buried: Hillside Memorial Cemetery, Laurinburg, NC
About biographical information
News -- July 2016
- 7/13 Phillies Nation: Remembering The Whiz Kids: Baseball is meant to be fun, after all, it’s a kid’s game. Even players in their mid-30s in the big leagues are supposed...
News -- April 2016
- 4/6 That Balls Outta Here: Phillies Jim Thome to the Wall of Fame: The Philadelphia Phillies organization has announced the 2016 honoree for a place on the club's Wall of Fame.
In the summer...
News -- February 2016
- 2/10 That Balls Outta Here: Phillies Philography: Granny Hamner: The Philadelphia Phillies have a rich history in the National League dating back to the 1883 season. Since the fall of 2014, I've...
- 2/7 Press Room Pass: Baseball History: Del Ennis: Before National Baseball Hall of Fame legend Mike Schmidt established the Philadelphia Phillies club record for lifetime home...
News -- January 2016
- 1/24 That Balls Outta Here: Phillies All-Time Home Run Leaders: During our Philadelphia Phillies History Month here at TBOH, this weekend has been designated as 'Home Run Weekend'....
News -- October 2011
- 10/9 The Greatest 21 Days: 1977 Topps: Brewers Memorium: Watch Monday for the first installment of the latest Greatest 21 Days interview: John Toale.Danny Frisella was a joker who kept...
News -- June 2010
- 6/22 B-R Blog: Counting When It Didn’t Count: Some All-Star fun via Baseball-Reference.com's Play Index Batting Game Finder - batters with 6+ PA in a single All-Star Game: