Joseph Richard Jay
Bats: Both, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 4", Weight: 228 lb.
Born: August 15, 1935 in Middletown, CT
High School: Middletown HS (Middletown, CT)
Signed by the Milwaukee Braves as an amateur free agent (bonus baby) in 1953.
Debut: July 21, 1953 (Age 17.340, 8,633rd in MLB history)
vs. PHI 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 SO, 1 BB, 0 ER
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1958 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Reds/Braves 1953-1966
Last Game: October 2, 1966 (Age 31.048)
vs. CIN 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 SO, 0 BB, 2 ER, Sv
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- September 2016
- 9-23 1960s Baseball Blog: Smooth Operator:
Glancing Back, and Remembering Roy McMillan
For nearly the entire 1950s, Roy McMillan was the everyday shortstop for...
News -- December 2015
- 12-28 OutsidePitchMLB: Jim O’Toole part of one of greatest rotations for Cincinnati Reds: Jim O’Toole, 78, died December 26, but the southpaw will be remembered as one of the top pitchers of his era in one of the...
News -- February 2014
- 2-12 Tomahawk Take: Braves Starting Pitching In Retrospect Part 2 Bob Buhl:
In a 1956 article in Sports Illustrated Ray Terrell bemoaned the lack of starting pitching in the league (sound...
News -- January 2013
- 1-6 Blog Red Machine: Can Zack Cozart Continue the Excellence At Shortstop for the Cincinnati Reds?: As a baseball historian I love research. I can spend hours at Baseball-Reference, The Baseball Cube or Fangraphs, hyperlinking...
News -- July 2012
- 7-12 Rising Apple: This Date in Mets History: 1964 – Mets Sweep a Shea Twin Bill for 1st Time Ever, 1-0 and 5-1, over Reds: The 1964 New York Mets are an improving team, if not a good one. The 1st team to play in William A. Shea Muni**** Stadium, they...
News -- June 2012
- 6-17 The Writer's Journey: Before The Machine by Mark J. Schmetzer (2011): Before The Machine: The Story of the 1961 Pennant-Winning Cincinnati Reds by Mark J. Schmetzer Clerisy Press, 2011 280 pages When...
- 6-13 The Writer's Journey: Before The Machine by Mark J. Schmetzer (2011): Before The Machine: The Story of the 1961 Pennant-Winning Cincinnati Reds by Mark J. Schmetzer Clerisy Press, 2011 280 pages When...
News -- May 2012
- 5-28 High Heat Stats: Pitchers who earn their losses: A familiar television advertisement from years ago featured the actor John Houseman as pitch manÂ for the investment firm Smith...
News -- June 2011
- 6-27 B-R Blog: Throwing 95+ pitches in a relief appearance: 2011 isn't quite halfway over yet and we've already had 3 different relief appearances where the pitcher threw at least 95 pitches:...