Arthur Albert Irwin
(Doc or Sandy)
Positions: Shortstop and Third Baseman
Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 8", Weight: 158 lb.
Born: February 14, 1858 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Signed as a Free Agent with the Worcester Ruby Legs in 1880.
Debut: May 1, 1880 (Age 22.077, 449th in MLB history)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1880 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Quakers/Grays/RubyLegs/Reds/Nationals/... 1880-1894
Last Game: June 22, 1894 (Age 36.128)
Died: July 16, 1921 in Atlantic Ocean, At Sea
Buried: Died at Sea,
Relatives: Brother of John Irwin
About biographical information
News -- January 2014
- 1/21 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: “McGuire Goes”: 13 July 1899, Washington trades Jim McGuire to the Brooklyn Dodgers. McGuire is the most po**** player on the roster. His exodus...
News -- November 2013
- 11/15 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Washington Walks Away: Wednesday, 3 May 1899. Brooklyn is in Washington playing the final game of their series. Under the competent hands of Ned Hanlon...
- 11/13 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Mercer Unbound: 9 October 1899, Washington splits a doubleheader with the visiting Orioles, but Win Mercer is the story today. The second game...
News -- April 2013
- 4/17 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Don’t Mess with Hoy: Early September 1889. Washington is once again a tail-ender. The Cleveland League team is in Washington under their manager, Tom...
News -- November 2012
- 11/22 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Billy Barnie: With Davey Johnson’s selection as Manager of the Year this a good time to reflect back on the District’s first National League...
News -- June 2012
- 6/10 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Hoy Returns: In 1892 Dummy Hoy, now 30 years old, and a four year veteran returns to the District. The landscape has greatly changed since...
News -- April 2012
- 4/24 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Atherton from Penn State: Washington has seen many unique players, none more so than the talented Atherton. Charles Morgan Herbert Atherton, a natural athlete,...