William Ellsworth Hoy
Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 6", Weight: 160 lb.
Born: May 23, 1862 in Houcktown, OH
High School: Ohio School for the Deaf (Columbus, OH)
Debut: April 20, 1888 (Age 25.333, 1,238th in MLB history)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1888 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Reds/Colonels/Senators/Nationals/Browns/... 1888-1902
Last Game: July 17, 1902 (Age 40.055)
Died: December 15, 1961 in Cincinnati, OH
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- January 2014
- 1/26 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Updating the D.C. Baseball All-Time Hitting Records – Number of Stolen Bases: Today’s project is to update the D.C. Baseball All-Time Hitting Records. I will be updating the new numbers this afternoon to...
- 1/6 OutsidePitchMLB: OPSN Interview with Director/Producer David Risotto: Vincent Lombardi Jr. had the pleasure of interviewing Director/Producer David Risotto. David wrote, directed and produced the...
News -- August 2013
- 8/8 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: The Thespian in Right Field: Washington may not have had an Eddie Gaedel but few baseball cities can boast a 7 foot tall pitcher, a 40 year old Civil War rookie...
News -- July 2013
- 7/11 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Deasley’s Prodigy: What are the odds of a 40 year old Civil War veteran stating a game for Washington with no prior major league experience and marginal...
News -- April 2013
- 4/17 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Don’t Mess with Hoy: Early September 1889. Washington is once again a tail-ender. The Cleveland League team is in Washington under their manager, Tom...
News -- December 2012
- 12/30 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Our most po**** stories in 2012: #30 – The Legacy of Griffith Stadium by George Case III I would like to discuss the “Legacy of Griffith Stadium” and...
News -- June 2012
- 6/10 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: Hoy Returns: In 1892 Dummy Hoy, now 30 years old, and a four year veteran returns to the District. The landscape has greatly changed since...
News -- May 2012
- 5/25 D.C. Baseball Yesterday and Today: The Dummy Hoy Story: The Player Hoy was born in Houcktown, Ohio in 1862. He played his first professional season with Oshkosh in 1886 in the Northwestern...
News -- January 2011
- 1/29 B-R Blog: Most Career HR, Listed Height 5′ 6″ Or Less: Since 1901, who has hit the most career homeruns of any player with a listed height of 5' 6" or less? Here's the list: Rk Player...