James Wesley Hook
Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 2", Weight: 182 lb.
Born: November 18, 1936 in Waukegan, IL
High School: Grayslake HS (Chicago, IL)
School: Northwestern University (Evanston, IL)
Signed by the Cincinnati Redlegs as an amateur free agent (bonus baby) in 1957.
Debut: September 3, 1957 (Age 20.289)
vs. STL 2.1 IP, 0 H, 2 SO, 2 BB, 0 ER
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1959 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Mets/Reds/Redlegs 1957-1964
Final Game: May 3, 1964 (Age 27.167)
vs. CIN 2 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- May 2014
- 5/31 Mets360.com: Six original Mets you’ve never heard of: I was doing some research last week on the first original Met to pass away. I had thought it was Hall-of-Famer and original Mets’...
News -- January 2014
- 1/4 Mets Merized: The Best and Worst Hitting Pitchers in Mets History: In the National League, the pitcher’s spot comes up to the plate once every nine batters. A good hitting pitcher can help...
News -- August 2013
- 8/21 Mets360.com: Mets Card of the Week: 1969 Jerry Koosman: 1969 TOPPS JERRY KOOSMAN In 1968, Jerry Koosman had a terrific rookie season and he finished fourth in both Wins (19) and ERA...
News -- October 2012
- 10/7 Mets360.com: Remembering the 1962 Mets: I was a junior at Richmond Hill High School in 1962 and I was quite excited that Queens was getting its own baseball team. I grew...
News -- August 2012
- 8/30 Rising Apple: Glory Days: Richie Ashburn: The Mets wrapped up their most recent successful series in Philadelphia this afternoon, so today on Glory Days we’ll take a...
- 8/2 Rising Apple: This Date in Mets History: 1963 – Mets Split Twin Bill with Braves at the County: The 1963 New York Mets are an…uh…improved team? New York has certainly taken this new National League presence to...
News -- May 2012
- 5/10 High Heat Stats: Jekyll and Hyde Pitchers: Recently, John Autin coined the term “disaster start” to denote starts where a pitcher allows more runs than innings...
News -- February 2012
- 2/13 High Heat Stats: More complete games than wins?! (It’s not only possible–it used to be commonplace): Back in the old days of baseball, pitchers complete most games that they finished. In 1904, for example, 88% of games started...
News -- August 2011
- 8/31 Mets360.com: Mets Card of the Week: 1964 Roy McMillan: 1964 TOPPS GIANTS ROY MCMILLAN If I asked you to name the worst-hitting season by a Mets player with at least 400 PA, you would...
News -- June 2011
- 6/22 Royally Speaking: Yost on Davies:
“But when you’ve got guys like Kyle Davies and Bruce Chen, two guys who are pretty important to your
starting rotation, you...
News -- December 2010
- 12/26 Mets360.com: Pitch counts and Al Jackson’s 15-inning game: Perhaps no issue in baseball today is more divisive than pitch counts. Advocates of pitch counts claim that it helps to protect...