Joseph Walter Hoerner
Bats: Right, Throws: Left
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 200 lb.
Born: November 12, 1936 in Dubuque, IA
High School: Dubuque HS (Dubuque, IA)
Signed by the Chicago White Sox as an amateur free agent in 1957.
Debut: September 27, 1963 (Age 26.319, 9,791st in MLB history)
vs. NYM 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1966 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Cardinals/Phillies/Royals/Braves/Rangers/... 1963-1977
Last Game: August 5, 1977 (Age 40.266)
vs. PIT 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER
Died: October 4, 1996 in Hermann, MO
Buried: Resurrection Cemetery, St. Louis, MO
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- October 2016
- 10-10 1960s Baseball Blog: Big on Wins:
Glancing Back, and Remembering Jim Nash
Jim Nashâs career started in a blaze of wins for a team unaccustomed to winning....
News -- July 2016
- 7-6 That Balls Outta Here: Phillies Book Club: "God Almighty Hisself": A new book on a Philadelphia Phillies superstar from the past has been released by a Villanova University law professor.
News -- May 2016
- 5-22 1960s Baseball Blog: Heady Hustle:
Glancing Back, and Remembering Cookie Rojas
While certainly not the most athletically talented infielder of his era,...
News -- March 2016
- 3-27 www.80sbaseball.com: My Top 3 Larry Bowa Moments: I was an outsider. A malcontent. I grew up as a Phillies Phan in Reds Country in the 1970s. Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton were...
News -- January 2016
- 1-17 Press Room Pass: Vintage Baseball Cards: 1969 and 1970: Baseball cards in some form have been around for over a century. Theyâve been in my house for over 40 years. I remember sitting...
News -- October 2015
- 10-7 The Starting Nine: On This Day In Baseball History: October 7, 1969: The St. Louis Cardinals trade Curt Flood, Byron Browne, Joe **** and Tim McCarver to the Phillies for Dick Allen, Jerry...
News -- May 2015
- 5-18 Rating the Rookies: 1964 Topps Colts Rookie Stars: Steve Hertz, Joe ****: Steve Hertz was signed as an 18 year old by the Houston Colt .45s in 1963. He labored in the farm system from 1964-1969 but did...
News -- December 2014
- 12-24 Redbird Rants: This Date In Cardinal History: Curt Flood's Gift To Us: As Christmas season reaches its apex, today marks an important date in history not only for St. Louis Cardinal fans, but for fans...
News -- November 2014
- 11-12 What the Heck, Bobby?: Happy Birthday - 11/12: No future Astros with birthdays today, but these former Astros mark the day ~LHP Joe **** October 4, 1996 at age 59)Drafted from...
News -- November 2013
- 11-12 What the Heck, Bobby?: Happy Birthday - 11/12: No future Astros, only former Astros with birthdays today ~
LHP Joe **** October 4, 1996 at age 59)
Drafted from the White...
News -- July 2012
- 7-26 High Heat Stats: Dodgers win(?) the Hanley regatta: ESPN reports that Miami has traded 3BÂ Hanley RamirezÂ and RPÂ Randy ChoateÂ to the Dodgers for SPÂ Nathan EovaldiÂ and minor-league...
- 7-11 That Ball's Outta Here: Who Were the Weirdest All-Stars in Phillies History?: This year, despite being in last place, the Phillies sent three players to Kansas City for the 2012 All-Star Game, Cole Hamels,...
News -- March 2012
- 3-8 Bus League Baseball: The Bizarro Hall of Fame: The Class of 1983: The Bizarro Hall of Fame was a series I ran on my old blog, One More Dying Quail, in 2007. It consists of players who appeared...
News -- October 2010
- 10-18 B-R Blog: Which Staff Had the Most Wins in Their Future?: Here's an interesting question sent to us by B-R reader Phil: "I've been a Mets fan since 1967, when, as the youngest kid in my...