Donald Albert Hoak
Position: Third Baseman
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 170 lb.
Born: February 5, 1928 in Roulette, PA
High School: Roullette HS (Roullette, PA)
Signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers as an amateur free agent in 1947.
Debut: April 18, 1954 (Age 26.072, 8,708th in MLB history)
vs. NYG 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1954 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Pirates/Redlegs/Dodgers/Phillies/Cubs 1954-1964
Last Game: May 12, 1964 (Age 36.097)
vs. STL 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: October 9, 1969 in Pittsburgh, PA
Buried: Fishing Creek Cemetery, Roulette, PA
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- November 2016
- 11-5 1960s Baseball Blog: Bob All Over:
Glancing Back, and Remembering Bob Bailey
For 17 major league seasons, Bob Bailey was a dependable and versatile player...
News -- October 2016
- 10-3 Press Room Pass: Vintage Baseball Cards: 1959 Topps: In celebration of the 65th anniversary of Topps baseball cards, my collection is going to be the subject of this year-long series....
News -- September 2016
- 9-19 High Heat Stats: 1960 NL MVP – Who Will Win the HHS Vote?: At the end of the COG, a lot of us were talking about a “next” project. Nothing has yet emerged or, more accurately,...
- 9-12 1960s Baseball Blog: Warren and Christy … Together at Last:
This Week in 1960s Baseball
(September 8, 1963) Pitching a nine-hit complete game, Warren Spahn raised his season record...
News -- May 2016
- 5-26 Call to the Pen: Pittsburgh Pirates Harvey Haddix Pitches Twelve Perfect Innings: Pittsburgh Pirates starter Harvey Haddix may have pitched the greatest game in Major League history on this day in 1959. Unfortunately,...
News -- March 2016
- 3-7 Baseballhotcorner.com: Top 300 Moments that Shaped Major League Baseball: 271-280: 280. Steve Olin and Tim Crews tragedy Spring Training is filled with so much hope as it is a harbinger of spring and the start...
News -- January 2016
- 1-22 1960s Baseball Blog: The Power in Polo:
Homer Happy: Frank Thomas
From their inaugural season of 1962 until 1975, the New York Metsâ single-season record...
News -- June 2014
- 6-26 Phillies Nation: Top 10 Trades in Phillies History: #7 Phils Dupe Detroit: Over the next two weeks, in conjunction with the run-up to the July 31 trade deadline, Phillies Nation will be presenting the...
News -- May 2014
- 5-29 Golden Gate Sports: Best Of The San Francisco Giants: Top 10 Seasons In Center Field: Golden Gate Sports continues to recap some of the best single-season performances in the history of the Oakland Athletics and...
News -- February 2014
- 2-20 Golden Gate Sports: Best Of The San Francisco Giants: Top 10 Seasons In Center Field: Golden Gate Sports continues to recap some of the best single-season performances in the history of the Oakland Athletics and...
News -- October 2013
- 10-21 The Cardboard Examiner: PURSUE THE PENNANTS: #45 ROY McMILLAN: SURE-HANDED IN THE FIELD.EMPTY-HANDED IN THE BATTER'S BOX.WHO'S THE HERO?Roy McMillan made his bones in the field, winning the...
News -- April 2013
- 4-23 This is Getting Old: The Time Has Come: The lights go out. Â The stadium is dark. Â A chill breezes through the air. Suddenly. Dong. Dong. Dong…… An organ...
News -- March 2013
- 3-22 The Cardboard Examiner: AUTOS FROM THE ARCHIVES: DICK GROAT: LOVE THOSE BUCCO SLEEVELESS JERSEYS.THIS IS HOW THE BACK OF A BASEBALL CARD SHOULD LOOK.In this feature, the 2012 Topps Archives...
News -- December 2012
- 12-31 Blog Red Machine: Cincinnati Reds All-Decade Team: The 1950s: It is difficult sifting through the record books and shaking it all out and creating an All-Star team for any franchise and/or...
- 12-2 Bronx Baseball Daily: Classic Yankees: Ralph Terry:
No one wants to be the goat, especially of a championship game. If so, you want the chance to redeem yourself.
News -- August 2012
- 8-11 The Writer's Journey: Hard-Luck Harvey Haddix and the Greatest Game Ever Lost by Lew Freedman (2009): Hard-Luck Harvey Haddix and the Greatest Game Ever Lost by Lew Freedman McFarland, 2009 218 pages Many games throughout history...
News -- May 2012
- 5-31 Baseball With Matt: 36 up, 36 down, and still lost 4/22/12: Hey Guys!In honor of Philip Humber pitching a perfecto yesterday, I want to blog about a very strange ALMOST-perfect game. I'll...
News -- December 2011
- 12-13 High Heat Stats: Aramis Ramirez: the yummiest of the Three Musketeers: Don't ask me about the title of this post. Whenever I think about Aramis Ramirez, my brain goes to the Three Musketeers, one...