Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 195 lb.
Born: June 8, 1925 in Philadelphia, PA
High School: Olney HS (Philadelphia, PA)
Signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an amateur free agent in 1943.
Debut: April 28, 1946 (Age 20.324, 7,867th in MLB history)
vs. BSN 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1946 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Phillies/Cardinals/WhiteSox/Redlegs 1946-1959
Last Game: June 14, 1959 (Age 34.006)
vs. BAL 2 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: February 8, 1996 in Huntingdon Valley, PA
Buried: Hillside Cemetery, Roslyn, PA
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- February 2015
- 2/26 Phillies Nation: Yay or Nay: Burrell on the Wall of Fame?: Pat Burrell was announced as the 2015 inductee on to the Phillies’ Wall of Fame earlier today. The selection sparked debate...
- 2/26 Crashburn Alley: Pat Burrell to be Inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame: And the 37th inductee into the #Phillies Toyota WOF isâ¦ Pat Burrell! Induction ceremony on 7/31 prior to the game. pic.twitter.com/EAkHV4lQWM...
News -- May 2014
- 5/23 Gammons Daily: Rollins keeps rolling: There was a time that talking about the Phillies was relevant. You can see when that changed: Rk Year Tm G W L W-L% Finish GB...
News -- March 2014
- 3/12 Phillies Nation: PN Interview: Curt Simmons: Yesterday, I had the privilege of meeting with legendary Phillies’ left-handed pitcher Curt Simmons. I met with Simmons,...
News -- February 2014
- 2/11 Phillies Nation: The Phillies Nation Top 100: #23 Del Ennis: The Phillies Nation Top 100 continues today with #23. Our mission is to assess the Top 100 Phillies players of all timeÂ usingÂ impact...
News -- December 2012
- 12/2 Up Along First: Digging Deeper Into David Wrightâ€™s New Deal: Is It Actually a Bargain For The Mets?: At first glance, the eight-year, $138 million dealÂ David WrightÂ signed early Friday morning didn’t appeal to many. Originally,...
- 12/2 Mets Merized: Digging Deeper Into David Wright’s New Deal: Is It Actually a Bargain For The Mets?: At first glance, the eight-year, $138 million deal David Wright signed early Friday morning didn’t appeal to many. Originally,...
News -- April 2012
- 4/19 High Heat Stats: In defense of the RBI: I’ve been a member of the Society for American Baseball Research for about two years now, a baseball blogger for about three,...
- 4/12 MLBTradeRumors: Pat Burrell Retires: APRIL 12: The Phillies have announced that Burrell will sign a one-day minor league contract and retire with the club that originally...
News -- January 2012
- 1/30 MLBTradeRumors: Pat Burrell Retires: Pat Burrell is retiring, MLBTR has learned. Â We last heard from Pat the Bat in November, when the 35-year-old told the AP,Â "I...
- 1/21 WasWatching: Righty Sluggers, Then & Now: It’s scary when you compare 1963 and 2011, isn’t it? Most career HR, RH-Batters, through 1963 - Rk Player HR From...
News -- December 2011
- 12/13 B-R Blog: B-R: HoF Candidate â€“ Juan Gonzalez: Juan GonzÃ¡lez Juan Alberto (Vazquez) Gonzalez (Juan Gone or Igor) Position: Outfielder Bats: Right, Throws: Right Height: 6'...
News -- November 2011
- 11/16 High Heat Stats: Card of the Week: 1992 Bowman #367 Dale Sveum: I'm guessing that sometime today, Dale Sveum is going to be named the new manager of the Red Sox. But let's turn back the clock...
News -- March 2011
- 3/21 B-R Blog: Mitc**** Page (1951-2011): Mitc**** Page died more than a week ago and I only just noticed it. It's quite a shock as he was only 59 years old. No cause of...
- 3/4 B-R Blog: Non-Pitchers Younger Than 22 To Bat In All-Star Game: How many players under the age of 22 - excluding pitchers - have come to bat in an All-Star Game? It's a small club. Here's the...
- 3/2 B-R Blog: Lots of RBI; Not So Many Runs Scored: In Major League history there have been 492 instances of a player posting at least 120 RBI in a season.Â Typically, a player...
News -- February 2011
- 2/18 The Crazy Crabbers: The Worst 100 RBI seasons in Giants history: The RBI is a hallowed stat for traditional baseball fans. It is said that driving in runs is an important skill and that without...
News -- January 2011
- 1/25 B-R Blog: 3+ Games With 2B/3B/HR Since 1920: Conventional wisdom suggests that the single is the easiest part of hitting for the cycle. So, what about the "hard" part? Since...
News -- August 2010
- 8/26 B-R Blog: Worst 100 RBI seasons: We all know that not every 100-RBI season is a great one. You'd think, though, that any 100-RBI season is worth at least something...
- 8/18 B-R Blog: Card of the Week: 2008 Goudey #217 Bobby Thomson:
Bobby Thomson's 1951 home run made such a large impact that more than 50 years later, baseball card companies are still issuing...
News -- July 2010
- 7/4 B-R Blog: Young All-Stars: A simple query via Play Index - All-Stars age 21 or younger...through 2009, there's only been 40 players to pull this trick (albeit...
News -- June 2010
- 6/10 B-R Blog: They Did What?: Via B-R.com's PI - Players since 1952 with 6+ games where they batted clean-up and had a SAC bunt in the contest:
News -- April 2010
- 4/23 B-R Blog: More on Jim Edmonds: Jim Edmonds is off to a fast start with the Brewers after sitting out all of 2009. Not that long ago we had a good debate about...
Complete a Short Survey
to help us
improve our mobile sites.
Do you use B-R on your phone?