Position: First Baseman
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 5", Weight: 220 lb.
Born: January 30, 1923 in Moosup, CT
High School: Plainfield HS (Plainfield, CT)
School: University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT)
Signed by the Boston Red Sox as an amateur free agent in 1947.
Debut: April 19, 1949 (Age 26.079, 8,146th in MLB history)
vs. PHA 4 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1950 season [*]
Teams (by GP): WhiteSox/Tigers/RedSox/Orioles/Redlegs 1949-1961
Last Game: May 17, 1961 (Age 38.107)
vs. DET 4 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: December 17, 2010 in Peabody, MA
Buried: Evergreen Cemetery, Moosup, CT
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- November 2015
- 11/15 BoSox Injection: Boston Red Sox Ramirez to first base - I've seen worse: First base is where gloves go to die and the bats go to live and for the Boston Red Sox that certainly was true for one point...
News -- August 2015
- 8/2 RSNStats.com: Rookie Travis Shaw has a day: The Red Sox took 2 of 3 games from the Rays in the just completed Fenway series withÂ Boston’s sometimes spotty offense...
- 8/2 Foros de Planeta Beisbol: Grandes Ligas • Cafecito 01-08-2015: Melky Cabrera atormenta a su antiguo equipo, los Yanquis:
Melky Cabrera bateÃ³ de 3-2 con un jonrÃ³n contra los Yanquis ayer.Cabrera, quien jugÃ³ sus primeros 569 juegos con los mulos,...
News -- April 2015
- 4/13 Foros de Planeta Beisbol: Grandes Ligas • Miguel Cabrera conecta 11 hits en la serie en Cleveland:
Miguel Cabrera bateÃ³ de 4-4 con un boleto, dos jonrones, un doble y cuatro impulsadas para guiar a los Tigres en la barrida...
- 4/13 Gammons Daily: Will Miguel Cabrera ever hit for the cycle?: Miguel Cabrera yesterday hit a pair of homers as the Tigers defeated the Indians, 8-5, to move to 6-0 for the first time since...
- 4/13 Gammons Daily: Stats report: Miguel Cabrera makes Tigers history: Lee Sinins is the creator of the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia, the most powerful baseball encyclopedia on the market. All stats...
News -- February 2015
- 2/1 Friars on Base: Padres Editorial: Jedd Gyorko and the Sophomore Slump: Recently, Corey Brock wrote about how the Padres are counting on a bounceback season from incumbent second baseman Jedd Gyorko...
News -- July 2014
- 7/25 Detroit Athletic Company: Dropo’s amazing 12 hits in a row remain a baseball record: As a 27-year-old with the Boston Red Sox in 1950, Walt Dropo had one of the finest rookie seasons in baseball history. The 6-foot-5...
News -- November 2013
- 11/30 Tyler's Think Tank: Vern Stephens for Cooperstown: Stephens had a ten-year run that few shortstops have equaledVern Stephens isn't in the baseball Hall of Fame, but he should be."Junior"...
News -- November 2012
- 11/13 Call to the Pen: Mike Trout AL Rookie Of Year: Mike Trout had a fabulous debut season for the Los Angeles Angels and everyone knew his selectionÂ as theÂ American League rookie...
News -- September 2012
- 9/25 High Heat Stats: Cannon Fodder: The Casualties of WAR (Volume 1): In another thread, longtime reader Topper wondered aloud: “Who is the all-time SABR whipping boy?” In our first installment...
News -- February 2012
- 2/15 22gigantes.com: On this date in Giants historyâ€”Feb. 14: Happy birthday to former Giants pitcher Dave Dravecky (pictured), who turns 56 today. There are just 4 days remaining until...
- 2/8 High Heat Stats: Famous flameouts: Here are players who posted a very strong 1st or 2nd season (specifically they had to be among the 172 guys since 1901 to qualify...
News -- December 2011
- 12/28 Through The Fence Baseball: 1950 National League vs American League: Walt Dropo and Sam Jethroe: The 1950 season presented two players who were nothing alike. Walt “Moose” Dropo almost captured the MVP his rookie...
News -- May 2011
- 5/24 B-R Blog: Granderson’s Strange Season: Curtis Granderson is having a loud, but strange season. Currently, Granderson is second in the AL in both HRs (with 16) and triples...
- 5/22 B-R Blog: 11+ HR In 1st 50 Career Games Since 1919: Since 1919, how many players hit 11 or more homeruns in their first 50 big leauge games? Here's the list - Rk Gcar Player Year...
News -- March 2011
- 3/5 B-R Blog: Best & Worst Of Bats & Throws Right 1B: You don't see that many "Bats Right" and "Throws Right" first basemen have very long major league careers.Â Here's those who...
News -- January 2011
- 1/11 B-R Blog: Mailbag: Biggest Differences Between HR Leader and Runner-Up: Here's a question from Ehud: "Jose Bautista was the AL home run king in 2010, while the second-place HR leader (Paul Konerko)...
News -- December 2010
- 12/20 B-R Blog: Walt Dropo: Following the recent passings of Bob Feller and Phil Cavarretta, Walt Dropo died on Friday at at 87. Dropo won the 1950 AL Rookie...
- 12/19 Baseball Musings: Moose No More: Walt Dropo, known as Moose from growing up in Moosup, CT, passed away Friday. He was 87. Dropo won the AL Rookie of the Year award...
News -- June 2010
- 6/10 B-R Blog: They Did What?: Via B-R.com's PI - Players since 1952 with 6+ games where they batted clean-up and had a SAC bunt in the contest:
News -- May 2010
- 5/25 B-R Blog: Batting seasons with higher RBI than OPS+: This simple Batting Season Finder search returns interesting results. I looked for all seasons with RBI greater than or equal...