William Walker Cooper
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 3", Weight: 210 lb.
Born: January 8, 1915 in Atherton, MO
High School: William Chrisman HS (Independence, MO)
Signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as an amateur free agent in 1935.
Debut: September 25, 1940 (Age 25.261)
vs. CIN 2 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1941 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Cardinals/Braves/Giants/Cubs/Reds/... 1940-1957
Final Game: September 20, 1957 (Age 42.255)
vs. CIN 1 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 0 SB
Died: April 11, 1991 in Scottsdale, AZ
Relatives: Brother of Mort Cooper and Father-In-Law of Don Blasingame
About biographical information
News -- June 2014
- 6/10 Call to the Pen: Cleveland Indians' Lonnie Chisenhall joins elite group: Last night, Cleveland Indians third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall had a game for the ages. In a 17-7 thumping of the Texas Rangers,...
- 6/8 Radical Baseball: All city: New York 1947.: All New York City selections are in bold. Lefty pitchers are in Italics. Pyth is Pythagorean W-L (estimate of...
News -- May 2014
- 5/2 Elysian Fielders: Constructing a Team of Players Who Have Been Both Braves and Giants: Tonight the Giants start a three-game series against the Atlanta Braves. To mark the occasion, I’ve utilized Baseball-Reference’s...
News -- October 2013
- 10/21 Did the Tribe Win Last Night? (1948): Kennedy and His Curveball May Be an Answer for Indians: May 17, 1948 Throughout the early months of the 1948 season, the Indians have been looking for a starting pitcher or two to throw...
News -- April 2013
- 4/26 The Pesky Pole: Amazing Polo Debut: As I try to get over the struggles of Jackie Bradley Jr. , I am reminded of Willie Mays and how he struggled to start his career....
News -- February 2013
- 2/28 Elysian Fielders: Are There Benefits to Sibling Rivalry?: Brothers B.J. and Justin Upton are now both Braves, thanks to the November signing that brought B.J. to Atlanta and the trade...
News -- January 2013
- 1/13 Tomahawk Take: Braves All-Decade Teams: The 1950s: In our look back on the best Braves players, we now head to the 1950′s. After three mediocre years in Boston, the franchise...
News -- September 2012
- 9/14 Bay City Ball: Baseball-Reference query presented with very little comment: The best catching seasons – minimum 75 percent games played at C – for the Giants’ franchise. Rk Player WAR/pos Year...
News -- August 2012
- 8/6 High Heat Stats: Game notes is back — tanned, rested & ready: Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the interwebs…. @Tigers 10, Indians 8: Three runs down, two outs and none...
News -- July 2012
- 7/6 Halos Heaven: Friday HaloLinks: Flock Baseball Edition:
Well, here we are folks. Half way through the season and the final weekend before the All Star...
News -- May 2012
- 5/29 James Smyth Broadcast: All-Time Bluefield Team - Johnny Gooch: Next up on the All-Time Bluefield-to-the-Bigs Team is backup catcher Johnny Gooch. Gregg Zaun has already been tabbed as the starter...
News -- April 2012
- 4/22 Tyler's Think Tank: MLB All Decade Team 1940s: C Walker Cooper Gets the nod over Ernie Lombardi
1B Johnny Mize Would have been Hank Greenberg if not for the war
News -- November 2011
- 11/14 Classic Minnesota Twins: "A Tale of 4 Twins Pitchers:" Kodak Snapshot Picks, 10/30/11: Another entry in posts spotlighting candid photos of Twins players, 1961 - present.Click on them for the larger versions.The...
News -- October 2011
- 10/26 B-R Blog: Best season by a 29-year-old catcher (**** Mike Napoli!): Mike Napoli has just posted the best season by a 29-year-old catcher, as ranked by OPS+. CLick through for the details. Rk Player...
News -- June 2011
- 6/17 B-R Blog: Three Tigers at .300 BA/.500 SLG: Through June 16, there were 16 qualifying hitters [see note at end of post] with a .300+ BA and .500+ slugging average. The Tigers...
News -- March 2011
- 3/2 B-R Blog: Lots of RBI; Not So Many Runs Scored: In Major League history there have been 492 instances of a player posting at least 120 RBI in a season. Typically, a player...