Forrest Harrill Burgess
Positions: Catcher and Pinch Hitter
Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 8", Weight: 185 lb.
Born: February 6, 1927 in Caroleen, NC
High School: Tri HS (Corleen, NC)
Signed by the Chicago Cubs as an amateur free agent in 1944.
Debut: April 19, 1949 (Age 22.072, 8,145th in MLB history)
vs. PIT 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1951 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Pirates/Redlegs/Phillies/WhiteSox/Cubs 1949-1967
Last Game: October 1, 1967 (Age 40.237)
vs. WSA 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: September 15, 1991 in Asheville, NC
Buried: Sunset Memorial Park, Spindale, NC
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- December 2012
- 12/31 Blog Red Machine: Cincinnati Reds All-Decade Team: The 1950s: It is difficult sifting through the record books and shaking it all out and creating an All-Star team for any franchise and/or...
News -- September 2012
- 9/10 High Heat Stats: Sunday game notes: Yankees 13, @Orioles 3: Fourteen hits, 7 with RISP, pulled the Bombers clear of their see-saw tie for 1st place. Curtis Granderson came...
News -- April 2012
- 4/19 High Heat Stats: Jerry Lynch 1930-2012: Jerry Lynch passed away recently. Lynch was an outfielder for the Pirates and Reds in the 1950s and 60s. He also caught a...
News -- November 2011
- 11/28 WasWatching: Lefty Hitting Catchers Who Played A Lot & Who Are Not In Cooperstown: Here is the list - Rk Player WAR/pos From To Age G PA R H HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG 1 Darrell Porter 40.6 1971 1987 19-35 1782 6570...
News -- May 2010
- 5/4 B-R Blog: Consecutive 3-Hit Games at Catcher: Much has been made of Wilson Ramos's start to his career. However, Ramos is also the first catcher this season to string together...
News -- April 2010
- 4/30 B-R Blog: More on John Buck’s 3-HR game: By now you know that John Buck hit 3 homers in a game last night. Here are a couple of things you might not have known.