Henry Ludwig Borowy
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 175 lb.
Born: May 12, 1916 in Bloomfield, NJ
High School: Bloomfield HS (Bloomfield, NJ)
School: Fordham University (New York, NY)
Signed by the New York Yankees as an amateur free agent in 1939.
Debut: April 18, 1942 (Age 25.341, 7,324th in MLB history)
vs. BOS 5.0 IP, 0 H, 4 SO, 1 BB, 0 ER
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1942 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Cubs/Yankees/Tigers/Phillies/Pirates 1942-1951
Last Game: September 14, 1951 (Age 35.125)
vs. NYY 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: August 23, 2004 in Brick, NJ
Buried: Mount Olivet Cemetery, Bloomfield, NJ
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- November 2016
- 11-2 Did The Tribe Win Last Night?: 1945 World Series Featured One Former Indian – and Almost a Future One Too: The 1945 World Series was, until this year, the last appearance in the Fall Classic for the Chicago Cubs. It also pitted managers...
News -- May 2016
- 5-2 APCBlogs.com: 1945 World Series: The 1945 World Series is considered by some to be one of the worst World Series ever played, mostly due to how World War II had...
News -- January 2016
- 1-29 APCBlogs.com: 1945 World Series: The 1945 World Series is considered by some to be one of the worst World Series ever played, mostly due to how World War II had...
News -- October 2015
- 10-17 Shoestring Catches: Baseball History: Goody Rosen: Goody Rosen never got to play in an all-star game during his time in the major leagues. Due to travel restrictions during World...
- 10-17 OutLoud! Culture: Cubs Make History In The Windy City: The Chicago Cubs have reached the National League Championship Series for the first time since 2003 and look to claim their first...
- 10-3 Shoestring Catches: Baseball History: October 3: October 3 is a big day in our family as our son was born on that date. We knew he would love sports because he chose to arrive...
News -- July 2015
- 7-27 Shoestring Catches: Baseball History: Hank Borowy and Cubs Win NL Pennant: The last time the Chicago Cubs played in the World Series was 70 years ago. On July 27 during the 1945 season, the Cubs made an...
News -- May 2014
- 5-27 Yanks Go Yard: The 1943 Yankees Season Review: Memorial Day Memories: As New York Yankees fans celebratedMemorial Day, we remember Yankees players who have served in the Military. And the 1943 season...
News -- November 2012
- 11-13 WasWatching: The Best Yankees SP Who Only Pitched Briefly For New York: Here’s one way to slice it - Rk Player WAR IP From To Age G GS W L SV ERA ERA+ 1 Chien-Ming Wang 13.2 670.2 2005 2009 25-29...
News -- April 2012
- 4-18 The Captain's Blog: Melancon Has Nightmarish Outing, but Yanksâ€™ Kammeyer Still Owns Inning of Greatest Infamy: Before the Red Sox acquired Aâs reliever Andrew Bailey, and after his subsequent injury, Mark Melancon was considered to be...
- 4-5 James Smyth Broadcast: Opening Day Starters for Defending Champs (Continued!): Yesterday, I wrote about Kyle Lohse and where he will rank among the Opening Day starting pitchers for recent reigning World Series...
News -- October 2011
- 10-21 B-R Blog: Find the unifying theme: What do these 34 pitchers have in common? A tiny hint: I deleted one name from the list to prevent a dead giveaway. Elden Auker...