James Blair Bibby
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 5", Weight: 235 lb.
Born: October 29, 1944 in Franklinton, NC
High School: Franklinton HS (Franklinton
Schools: Lynchburg College (Lynchburg
, VA), Fayetteville State University (Fayetteville
Signed by the New York Mets as an amateur free agent in 1965.
Debut: September 4, 1972 (Age 27.311, 10,887th in MLB history)
vs. MON 6.1 IP, 7 H, 5 SO, 5 BB, 4 ER, W
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1973 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Pirates/Indians/Rangers/Cardinals 1972-1984
Last Game: May 26, 1984 (Age 39.210)
Died: February 16, 2010 in Lynchburg, VA
Buried: Briarwood Memorial Gardens, Amherst, VA
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- May 2014
- 5/17 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–May 17, 1974: 1974: After falling behind 3-0, the Royals—sparked by George Brett’s three RBIs—rallied for four runs in the second inning...
News -- January 2014
- 1/14 Mets360.com: For The Mets, Pitching Is The Name Of The Game: The past two seasons have been dubbed “The Year(s) Of The Pitcher.” This is a retread of the label first trotted out in 1968,...
News -- October 2013
- 10/29 Call to the Pen: Baseball History Today: October 29th – Delay to Win: 2008 – After a two-day delay, Game 5 of the World Series is completed. Only three innings of play were necessary as the...
News -- August 2013
- 8/14 Rising Apple: Ya Gotta Believe 40th Anniversary Player Profile: Harry Parker: This week’s tribute to the 1973 Mets goes to the late Harry Parker. Parker was a pitcher on the 1973 team, used primarily...
News -- February 2013
- 2/20 Kings of Kauffman: How Royals Hall Of Famers Fared In Cooperstown Balloting: I originally intended to post this article the day before the BBWAA unleashed their righteous fury on steroid users and everyone...
News -- January 2013
- 1/27 Mets Merized: How The Miracle Mets Were Built: The 1968 Off-Season: Welcome to Part Two of my series entitled, How The Miracle Mets Were Built. You can read Part One by clicking, The Spring Of 1968....
News -- June 2012
- 6/13 Did The Tribe Win Last Night?: Today in Tribe History: June 13, 1975: Compiled by Jason Kaminski The Cleveland Indians send pitcher **** Perry, who won the Cy Young Award in 1972, to the Texas Rangers...
News -- May 2012
- 5/31 James Smyth Broadcast: All-Time Bluefield Team - Storm Davis: The fifth and final starter on the All-Time Bluefield-to-the-Bigs Team is right-hander Storm Davis. This former Baby Bird won...
- 5/10 High Heat Stats: Jekyll and Hyde Pitchers: Recently, John Autin coined the term “disaster start” to denote starts where a pitcher allows more runs than innings...
News -- November 2011
- 11/25 i70baseball.com: 2011 Hall Of Legends Inductee: Al HraboskyThe final inductee for 2011 is, appropriately, former Cardinals and Royals closer, Al Hrabosky....
News -- July 2011
- 7/2 B-R Blog: Since 1969, at least 5 shutouts in an otherwise ordinary season: Friday night, Jason Vargas tossed his 3rd shutout of the year. Overall, his ERA+ is 103. No knock on Vargas, who has been a nice...
News -- April 2011
- 4/14 B-R Blog: Unlikely No-Hit Pitchers: One of the fun new things we can do with the PI is to sort the results of a game-finder search by a season finder. Here are all...