Charles Roscoe Barnes
Positions: Second Baseman and Shortstop
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 8", Weight: 145 lb.
Born: May 8, 1850 in Mount Morris, NY
Debut: May 5, 1871 (Age 20.362, 19th in MLB history)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1871 season [*]
Teams (by GP): RedStockings/WhiteStockings/Reds 1871-1881
Final Game: September 21, 1881 (Age 31.136)
Died: February 5, 1915 in Chicago, IL
Buried: Greenwood Cemetery, Rockford, IL
About biographical information
News -- June 2014
- 6/29 Canadian Baseball Network: BWDIK: Stairs, Gillies, Jackie Robinson: * In his weekly column, ‘But What do I know?’, Kevin Glew discusses this year’s Canadian HOF induction, a look...
News -- January 2014
- 1/7 On-Base Talk: The Growing Trend of Strikeouts in Baseball: 1871, a year that saw all of baseball hit less home runs (47) than Chris Davis during all of 2013 (53). It was a much different...
News -- April 2013
- 4/15 Not in the Hall of Fame: 42. Ross Barnes: An argument has been made that Ross Barnes was the greatest baseball player of all time in the League. Unfortunately, that aforementioned...
News -- February 2013
- 2/8 Tomahawk Take: Braves All-Time Team: Ending our look back at Braves history, I now present my all-time Braves team. Some players will not be at their primary position,...
- 2/7 Braves Journal: Keltner List: Deacon White (by sansho1): Deacon White was one of the earliest baseball stars, and thanks to the Veterans Committee he is the only player in the Hall of...
- 2/3 Tomahawk Take: Braves All-Decade Teams: The 19th Century: We now enter the early days of baseball, going through the stars of the Boston Beaneaters/Red Stockings. The franchise truly...
News -- December 2010
- 12/16 The Writer's Journey: And the non-Cooperstown home of the Braves…: The Braves are the oldest team we have discussed thus far as a part of the NON-HOF project on Baseball Fever. It has also been...
News -- September 2010
- 9/3 B-R Blog: The 20 greatest position players in baseball history: Here's one take on the twenty greatest position players in the history of major league baseball. In the comments on other recent...