Leagues historically made no effort to balance team, league, and player fielding stats. Since 1990 or so, computers have made this feasible, but prior to that there are hundreds or thousands of discrepancies each year in games played (even whether a player played a position), putouts, assists, double plays and errors.
- Pre-1930 SB & CS data for catchers is estimated from catcher assists, games started and opposition stolen bases.
- From 1930 on SB, CS, Pickoff, & WP data for catchers and pitchers is taken from play-by-play accounts in the retrosheet files. There are several hundred games without pbp from 1930 to 1973 and for those we may not have any data.
- CG & GS come from the retrosheet data and should be complete and pretty accurate from 1913 on.
- Innings played (like SB and CS) come from the retrosheet play-by-play data and should be considered mostly complete from 1930 to 1973 and complete from then on.
- Stats (PO,A,G, etc) for LF-CF-RF positions (since 1913) is taken from play-by-play or box score data as available.
- Stats (PO,A,G,etc) for C,P,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF positions is taken from the official reported totals and may have been corrected at various times since their publication.
- For detailed information on which games retrosheet is missing play-by-play from 1930 to 1973, please see their most wanted games list
- For detailed information on the availability of data on this site by year, see our data coverage page