(Redirected from Wiki/Main Page)
Baseball's collaborative encyclopedia with 83,364
- The United States win the 2017 World Baseball Classic (logo pictured), defeating Puerto Rico, 8-0, in the final game. Marcus Stroman is named tournament MVP.
- The Baseball Australia Hall of Fame announces their 2017 class: John Stephens, Wally Buchanan and Bob Ossey.
- The Brisbane Bandits win the 2016-2017 Australian Baseball League, defending their title. Logan Wade is chosen as finals MVP.
- The Criollos de Caguas win the 2017 Caribbean Series, defeating the Aguilas de Mexicali, 1-0 in 10 innings in the finale. David Vidal is named Caribbean Series MVP.
- The Caribbean Baseball Hall of Fame inducts Vinny Castilla, Erubiel Durazo, Miguel Flores, Benjamin Reyes, Juan Manuel Ley and Alfonso Bojorquez.
Today in Baseball
|April 25: Today's featured birthday is that of Bill Greif, who turns 67.
- 1957 - In response to actions by Don Hoak and Johnny Temple of the Reds, Major League Baseball bans baserunners from intentionally interfering with a ball in play.
- 1976 - Rick Monday (pictured) saves an American flag about to be burned at Dodger Stadium. Two individuals had gone into the outfield with the flag, intending to set it on fire.
- 2000 - Numerous Cuban-American players sit out the day due to a strike called by the community over the Elian Gonzalez affair. Players and coaches who sit out are Alex Fernandez, Vladimir Núñez, Michael Tejera, Mike Lowell, Jose Canseco, Cookie Rojas and Rey Ordóñez.
- 2001 - Rickey Henderson breaks Babe Ruth's career MLB walk record by drawing his 2,063th. While Ruth had held the record for 70 years, Henderson's reign is only three years before Barry Bonds surpasses him.
- 2005: 35 years after he was banned for life from Nippon Pro Baseball, former Nishitetsu Lions star Masaaki Ikenaga has the verdict rescinded. Ikenaga had been implicated in the Black Mist Scandal but had claimed innocence.
Recent days: April 24 – April 23 – April 22
|Table of Contents
- Leagues and Teams: Leagues, Teams, Minors, Minor League Teams, Negro League Teams, Nippon Pro Baseball Teams, AAGPBL, International Baseball, Amateur Baseball
- Players: Players, Hall of Famers, Minor League Players, Negro League Players, Nippon Pro Baseball Players, National Team Players, Fictional Characters, Baseball Families, Veterans, Olympians
- Personnel: Managers, Owners, General Managers, Coaches, Executives, Umpires, Minor League Managers, Broadcasters, Other People
- History: History, Postseasons, Years, Dates, Ballparks, Awards, Numbers, Business
- Culture: Books, Authors, Writers, Media, Movies
- Glossary and Statistics: Glossary, Instruction, Rules, Statistics, Sabermetrics, Places, High Schools, Schools, Miscellaneous