From BR Bullpen
Walter John Gilbert
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 180 lb.
- School Valparaiso University
- High School Denham High School
- Debut August 18, 1928
- Final Game September 24, 1932
- Born December 19, 1900 in Oscoda, MI USA
- Died September 7, 1958 in Duluth, MN USA
 Biographical Information
Wally Gilbert played five seasons in the major leagues exclusively as a third baseman. All but one year was with the Brooklyn Robins, who generally finished over .500.
He was involved in a big trade in 1932, one that brought Ernie Lombardi to the Cincinnati Reds. Purchased by the St. Louis Cardinals in 1933, he appeared very briefly for the 1933 Columbus Red Birds who won 101 games.
Wally played in the game in 1938 between Grand Forks and Winnipeg when Skeeter Ebnet was killed by a pitch. He was traded to Superior later that year.