From BR Bullpen
Thomas Carr Hurd
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 9", Weight 155 lb.
- Debut July 30, 1954
- Final Game September 29, 1956
- Born May 27, 1924 in Danville, VA USA
- Died September 5, 1982 in Waterloo, IA USA
 Biographical Information
He was five years younger than teammate Ted Williams.
Hurd began his pro career as a shortstop in 1946. He had 88 errors in 122 games. In 1947 he had 70 errors in 111 games. In 1948 he had 47 errors in 88 games. He was converted to pitching in 1948 (7 games) and 1949 (full time).
 Further Reading
- Jim Elfers: "Tom Hurd", in Mark Armour and Bill Nowlin, eds.: Red Sox Baseball in the Days of Ike and Elvis: The Red Sox of the 1950s, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2012, pp. 49-53. ISBN 978-1933599243