September 2: Today's featured birthday is that of Fred Howard, who turns 59.
- 1957 - In response to actions by Don Hoak and Johnny Temple of the Reds, Major League Baseball bans baserunners from intentionally interfering with a ball in play.
- 1976 - Rick Monday (pictured) saves an American flag about to be burned at Dodger Stadium. Two individuals had gone into the outfield with the flag, intending to set it on fire.
- 2000 - Numerous Cuban-American players sit out the day due to a strike called by the community over the Elian Gonzalez affair. Players and coaches who sit out are Alex Fernandez, Vladimir Núñez, Michael Tejera, Mike Lowell, Jose Canseco, Cookie Rojas and Rey Ordóñez.
- 2001 - Rickey Henderson breaks Babe Ruth's career MLB walk record by drawing his 2,063th. While Ruth had held the record for 70 years, Henderson's reign is only three years before Barry Bonds surpasses him.
- 2005: 35 years after he was banned for life from Nippon Pro Baseball, former Nishitetsu Lions star Masaaki Ikenaga has the verdict rescinded. Ikenaga had been implicated in the Black Mist Scandal but had claimed innocence.
Recent days: April 24 – April 23 – April 22