We performed a site update on April 16, 2013. Please let the admin know if you User_talk:Admin#APRIL_16.2C_2013 encounter any issues. All updates have been performed.
From BR Bullpen
Capacity: 8,000 (1902); 18,000 (1909); 34,000 (1926); 30,500 (1953).
Sportsman's Park was originally built for the St. Louis Browns when the American League's Milwaukee Brewers relocated to St. Louis, MO following the 1901 season. In 1909, the park was rebuilt on the same site, but with a different orientation and dimensions, and a double-deck grandstand behind home plate. It was gradually improved over the years, with concrete bleachers added in 1925-1926.
The St. Louis Cardinals moved in as joint tenants on July 1, 1920, abandoning Robison Field, and remained there as sole occupant after the Browns left for Baltimore, MD following the 1953 season. The entire 1944 World Series, pitting the Browns and Cardinals, was played here. The Cardinals played their last game here on May 8, 1966, when they moved to Busch Stadium. To complicate matters, Sportsman's Park was officially called Busch Stadium from 1954 to 1966. Home plate was moved by helicopter from one Busch Stadium to the other after the last game played here, to indicate continuity with the Cardinals' history of success in the park. The stadium was demolished shortly thereafter and the site now serves the Herbert Hoover Boys' Club, with a baseball field still in the same spot.