From BR Bullpen
Salvador Anthony Yvars
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 187 lb.
- High School White Plains High School
- Debut September 27, 1947
- Final Game September 26, 1954
- Born February 20, 1924 in New York, NY USA
- Died December 10, 2008 in Valhalla, NY USA
 Biographical Information
Sal Yvars is the only player in Major League history with a last name that starts with "Yva". There are no players in the minor leagues currently that have a chance of "threatening" this title any time soon. His last name was pronounced "E-vars".
After graduating from high school, Yvars signed with the New York Giants in 1942, then enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He began his pro career in 1946.
Yvars was, like Campanella, a catcher, although Yvars was a backup who rarely got many at-bats. His best season was 1951 when he hit .317 and appeared in the 1951 World Series. His busiest season was 1952 when he had 151 at-bats.