Roy Thomas (thomaro01)
Roy Allen Thomas
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 5' 11", Weight 150 lb.
- School University of Pennsylvania
- High School Norristown High School
- Debut April 14, 1899
- Final Game September 4, 1911
- Born March 24, 1874 in Norristown, PA USA
- Died November 20, 1959 in Norristown, PA USA
Roy Thomas is # 28 on the all-time list for on-base percentage (through 2008). He had little power, but hit well for average during the deadball era and drew huge amounts of walks. He would foul off pitches until ones came in that would help him draw a walk. He was a centerfielder with good range.
Thomas was a baseball coach at Penn even while he played professionally. He coached at Penn in 1903, and then from 1912-1919 and at Haverford College from 1928-1933. In later years he worked for the YMCA and as a coal salesman.
- Runs Scored, rookie, season, 137, 1899