From BR Bullpen
Owen Thomas Carroll
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10½", Weight 165 lb.
- School College of the Holy Cross
- Debut June 20, 1925
- Final Game September 21, 1934
- Born November 11, 1902 in Kearny, NJ USA
- Died June 8, 1975 in Orange, NJ USA
 Biographical Information
Known for throwing a collection of curves, Ownie Carroll is regarded as one of the greatest college pitchers of all time. At Holy Cross, Carroll was 50-2 in four years. He signed with the Detroit Tigers after graduation and went right to the majors, going 2-2 with a 3.76 ERA in 10 games in 1925. He was in the minors with the Toronto Maple Leafs the next year and went 21-7 with a 3.56 ERA. He returned to the majors in 1927 but soon developed arm problems that plagued him for the rest of his career.
Carroll was the coach at Seton Hall University from 1948 to 1972.