New York, NY
From BR Bullpen
New York is the largest city in the United States, located in southeastern New York, at the mouth of the Hudson River where it is joined by the East River as they flow into the Atlantic Ocean. It is often conflated with the borough of Manhattan, also called New York City, where the city's downtown core is located.
Among the other four boroughs, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island have had their own professional baseball teams under their respective names, while The Bronx is home to the New York Yankees. New York is home to Columbia University.
 Teams that have played here
- New York Mutuals, National Association (1871-1875)
- New York Mutuals, National League (1876)
- New York Gothams, National League (1883-1885)
- New York Metropolitans, American Association (1883-1887)
- New York Giants, National League (1886-1957)
- New York Gorhams, Negro Leagues (1887-1891)
- New York Giants (PL), Players League (1890)
- New York Metropolitans, Atlantic League (1896)
- New York Highlanders, American League (1903-1912)
- New York Lincoln Giants, Negro Leagues (1911-1922, 1930)
- New York Yankees, American League (1913-present)
- New York Lincoln Stars, Negro Leagues (1914-1916)
- Pennsylvania Red Caps of New York, Negro Leagues (1917-1919)
- New York Lincoln Giants, Eastern Colored League (1923-1928)
- New York Lincoln Giants, American Negro League (1929)
- New York Harlem Stars, Negro Leagues (1931)
- New York Black Yankees, Negro Leagues (1932-1935, 1949-1950)
- New York Cubans, Negro National League (1935-1936, 1939-1948)
- New York Black Yankees, Negro National League (1936-1948)
- New York Cubans, Negro National League (1949-1950)
- New York Mets, National League (1962-present)
 Further Reading
- Melvin Adelman: A Sporting Time: New York City and the Rise of Modern Athletics 1820-1870, University of Illinois Press, Urbana, IL, 1986.
- Charles DeMotte: Bat, Ball & Bible: Baseball and Sunday Observance in New York, Potomac Books, Dulles, VA, 2012. ISBN 978-1-59797-947-4
- Roger Kahn: The Era, 1947-1957: When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World, Bison Books, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, 2002 (originally published in 1993). ISBN 0803278055
- Tony Morante: "Baseball and Tammany Hall", in The Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Volume 42, Number 1 (Spring 2013), pp. 30-36.
- Peter Morris et al.: Base Ball Founders: The Clubs, Players and Cities of the Northeast That Established the Game, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2013. ISBN 978-0-7864-7430-1
- Robert E. Murphy: After Many a Summer: The Passing of the Giants and Dodgers and a Golden Age in New York Baseball, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, 2013. ISBN 978-0-8032-4573-0