From BR Bullpen
Maurice Samuel Vaughn (Hit Dog)
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 6' 1", Weight 230 lb.
- School Seton Hall University
- Debut June 27, 1991
- Final Game May 2, 2003
- Born December 15, 1967 in Norwalk, CT USA
 Biographical Information
Mo Vaughn had a 12-year career and retired in 2003 due to chronic knee problems. A slugger who had an MVP year in 1995, he retired with an OPS over .900, placing # 58 of all time in that category. In 1995, he became the third hitter in Boston Red Sox history (following Jimmie Foxx - 1936, and Carl Yastrzemski - 1967 & 1970) to amass a .300 batting average, 35 HRs, 100 RBI, 50 BBs and 10 SBs in the same season.
As a college baseball freshman, Mo shared the field with Junior catcher Craig Biggio. Biggio was drafted in the first round that year, as was Vaughn two years later. Other teammates on the "Hit Men" squad of Seton Hall included John Valentin, Marteese Robinson and Kevin Morton.
In 1998, Vaughn hit .379 with an OPS of 1.207 against pitchers with a sub-3 ERA.
He never led the league in any major category, except RBI in his MVP year. However, he was often in the top ten. He was prone to striking out, leading the league twice, and finishing in the top ten in strikeouts nine times in his twelve-year career. Through 2005, the most similar player to Vaughn, based on the similarity scores method, is Jason Giambi, although Giambi will become less similar as he continues to play. Among retired players, the most similar are David Justice and Ted Kluszewski. Kluszewski seems a particularly apt comparison.
Vaughn is a cousin of fellow slugger Greg Vaughn.
 Notable Achievements
- 3-time AL All-Star (1995, 1996 & 1998)
- AL MVP (1995)
- AL Silver Slugger Award Winner (1995)
- AL RBI Leader (1995)
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 9 (1993-2000 & 2002)
- 30-Home Run Seasons: 6 (1995-2000)
- 40-Home Run Seasons: 2 (1996 & 1998)
- 100 RBI Seasons: 6 (1993, 1995, 1996 & 1998-2000)
- 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 2 (1996 & 1996)
- 200 Hits Seasons: 2 (1996 & 1998)
|Frank Thomas||Mo Vaughn||Juan Gonzalez|