We performed a site update on April 16, 2013. Please let the admin know if you User_talk:Admin#APRIL_16.2C_2013 encounter any issues. All updates have been performed.
From BR Bullpen
Michael Warren Scott
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 3", Weight 215 lb.
- School Central Arizona College, Pepperdine University
- Debut April 18, 1979
- Final Game April 13, 1991
- Born April 26, 1955 in Santa Monica, CA USA
 Biographical Information
Mike Scott, who had 124 major league victories, turned into a overpowering strikeout artist more than halfway through his career at age 31. Up until then, in seven major league seasons, he never had more than 137 strikeouts in a season and was never close to throwing one strikeout per inning. Then, in 1986, he had 306 strikeouts in 275 innings. After that, his strikeouts and his strikeouts per nine innings declined over the rest of his career. The change was due to his learning to throw the split-fingered fastball, which he used with devastating effect.
Scott had been successful before his big strikeout year - he went 18-8 in 1985, and a couple years before that had gone 10-6. Mike won the Cy Young Award in 1986, and then came back in 1989 to finish second in the voting.
 Notable Achievements
- 3-time NL All-Star (1986, 1987 & 1989)
- NL Cy Young Award Winner (1986)
- 1986 NLCS MVP
- NL ERA Leader (1986)
- NL Wins Leader (1989)
- NL Innings Pitched Leader (1986)
- NL Strikeouts Leader (1986)
- NL Shutouts Leader (1986)
- 15 Wins Seasons: 4 (1985-1987 & 1989)
- 20 Wins Seasons: 1 (1989)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 6 (1985-1990)
- 200 Strikeouts Seasons: 2 (1986 & 1987)
- 300 Strikeouts Seasons: 1 (1986)
|NL Cy Young Award|
|Dwight Gooden||Mike Scott||Steve Bedrosian|
 Further Reading
- Mike Scott (as told to George Vass): "The Game I'll Never Forget," Baseball Digest (May 1990), pp. 53-55