Mike Marshall (marshmi01)
From BR Bullpen
Michael Grant Marshall
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 180 lb.
- School Michigan State University
- High School Adrian High School
- Debut May 31, 1967
- Final Game October 2, 1981
- Born January 15, 1943 in Adrian, MI USA
 Biographical Information
Dr. Mike Marshall, who holds a Ph.D. in kinesiology from Michigan State University, was a sensation as a relief pitcher for taking a scientific approach toward pitching. He was the 1974 National League Cy Young Award winner, led the league in saves three times, and was an All-Star twice. He had 723 games pitched and 188 career saves, in addition to 549 games finished.
In 1974, he set major league records for games as a pitcher (106) and relief innings (208 1/3). He also had a record 27 decisions, the most among pitchers who did not make a start.
Marshall was 7-3 in the Minnesota Twins' first 40 games in 1979, the only reliever to get 10 decisions in his squad's opening 40 until Tyler Clippard matched the feat with the 2010 Washington Nationals.
He is one of the ten best relievers of all-time, according to The Relief Pitcher, for being the most dominant reliever of his era.
Marshall started his career in the Philadelphia Phillies organization in 1961, as a shortstop. Suffering from injuries, he was converted to a pitcher in 1965. He played for nine teams in the major leagues, leading the league in saves with the Montreal Expos, Los Angeles, and Minnesota.
He is not to be confused with the other Mike Marshall who played with the Dodgers - they were both active in the National League in 1981. He was head coach of Saint Leo University in 1985-1987, Henderson State University in 1988-1990, and West Texas A&M University in 1994.
 Notable Achievements
- 2-time NL All-Star (1974 & 1975)
- NL Cy Young Award Winner (1974)
- 3-time Reliever of the Year Award Winner (1973/NL, 1974/NL & 1979/AL)
- 4-time League Games Pitched Leader (1972-1974/NL & 1979/AL)
- 3-time League Saves Leader (1973/NL, 1974/NL & 1979/AL)
- 15 Wins Seasons: 1 (1974)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1974)
- 30 Saves Seasons: 2 (1973 & 1979)
|NL Cy Young Award|
|Tom Seaver||Mike Marshall||Tom Seaver|
 Records Held
- Games pitched, season, 106, 1974
- Games pitched, right-hander, season, 106, 1974
- Games pitched, in relief, season, 106, 1974
- Innings pitched, in relief, season, 208.1, 1974