We performed a site update on April 16, 2013. Please let the admin know if you User_talk:Admin#APRIL_16.2C_2013 encounter any issues. All updates have been performed.
Mike Marshall (marshmi01)
From BR Bullpen
Michael Grant Marshall
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 180 lb.
 Biographical Information
Dr. Mike Marshall, who holds a Ph.D. in kinesiology from Michigan State University, was a sensation as a relief pitcher for taking a scientific approach toward pitching. He was the 1974 National League Cy Young Award winner, led the league in saves three times, and was an All-Star twice. He is 7th with 723 games pitched as of 2012. His 188 career saves are (as of the end of 2012) 49th on the all time list. As of the end of 2012, he is 23rd on the all time list of pitchers for Games Finished (549).
In 1974, he set major league records for games as a pitcher (106) and relief innings (208.1). He also had a record 27 decisions, the most among pitchers who did not make a start.
He is one of the ten best relievers of all-time, according to The Relief Pitcher, for being the most dominant reliever of his era.
Marshall started his career in the Philadelphia Phillies organization in 1961, as a shortstop. Suffering from injuries, he was converted to a pitcher in 1965. He played for nine teams in the major leagues, leading the league in saves with Montreal, Los Angeles, and Minnesota.
He is not to be confused with the other Mike Marshall who played with the Dodgers - they were both active in the National League in 1981. He was head coach of Saint Leo University in 1985-1987, Henderson State University in 1988-1990, and West Texas A&M University in 1994.
 Notable Achievements
- 2-time NL All-Star (1974 & 1975)
- NL Cy Young Award Winner (1974)
- 3-time Reliever of the Year Award Winner (1973/NL, 1974/NL & 1979/AL)
- 4-time League Games Pitched Leader (1972-1974/NL & 1979/AL)
- 3-time League Saves Leader (1973/NL, 1974/NL & 1979/AL)
- 15 Wins Seasons: 1 (1974)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1974)
- 30 Saves Seasons: 2 (1973 & 1979)
|NL Cy Young Award|
|Tom Seaver||Mike Marshall||Tom Seaver|
 Records Held
- Games pitched, season, 106, 1974
- Games pitched, right-hander, season, 106, 1974
- Games pitched, in relief, season, 106, 1974
- Innings pitched, in relief, season, 208.1, 1974