From BR Bullpen
CAPACITY: 10,031 (1998)
Located in Pawtucket, RI, McCoy Stadium is the home park of the Pawtucket Red Sox. It was built in 1942 as a WPA project and originally seated around 7,000. The park is named after former Pawtucket Mayor Thomas P. McCoy. In 1998 and 1999, the stadium underwent extensive renovations. McCoy has been the home of minor league ball since 1946, when the Pawtucket Slaters of the New England League played here until 1949. From 1966 to 1967, the Pawtucket Indians of the Eastern League called McCoy home. Starting in 1970, the Pawtucket Red Sox played at McCoy Stadium, in the Eastern League from 1970 to 1972, before making the switch to the International League in 1973.
In 1981, McCoy Stadium was the site of a 33 inning game between the Paw Sox and the Rochester Red Wings. The game began on April 18th and was finally called at about four a.m. on April 19th. Play was resumed on June 23rd, and Pawtucket was finally victorious. A pair of future Hall of Famers, Wade Boggs and Cal Ripken, played in the marathon game.
|Current ballparks in International League|
|East Division||South Division||West Division|
|Coca Cola Park | Coca-Cola Field | Frontier Field | McCoy Stadium | NBT Bank Stadium | PNC Field||Durham Bulls Athletic Park | Coolray Field | Harbor Park | Knights Stadium||Cooper Stadium | Fifth Third Field | Louisville Slugger Field | Victory Field|