From BR Bullpen
- School Pennsylvania State University, Wright State University
- High School Richland High School
- Born January 11, 1948 in Johnstown, PA USA
- Died February 11, 2014 in West Harrison, IN or St. Leon, IN USA
 Biographical Information
Max McLeary umpired in the New York-Penn League and Eastern League in the 1970s, before losing an eye in a freak accident in January 1977. That didn't end his umpiring career however - he returned to working amateur games and eventually professional baseball again, suiting up in the Frontier League, where he remained for a decade. He is the only known one-eyed umpire in professional baseball history. He was the principal figure in author Mike Shannon's book Everything Happens in Chillicothe.
He later became general manager of the Cincinnati Steam.
His son, pitcher Marty McLeary, spent parts of three seasons in the major leagues (2004, 2006-2007).
 Further Reading
- Mike Shannon: Everything Happens in Chillicothe: A Summer in the Frontier League with Max McLeary, the One-Eyed Umpire, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2004.