From BR Bullpen
Lawrence Alan Yellen
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11", Weight 190 lb.
- School Hunter College, The City University of New York
- Debut September 26, 1963
- Final Game September 22, 1964
- Born January 4, 1943 in Brooklyn, NY USA
 Biographical Information
Speaking with Rob Trucks in 2002, Yellen recalled of his first big league game:
“ My major league debut was against the Pirates in Houston. I pitched five innings and I remember Roberto Clemente. I don’t remember Willie Stargell. The one to remember, though, was Roberto Clemente. Bob Lillis [sic *] was playing shortstop and Clemente hit a rocket, a one-hopper, that almost took Lillis from shortstop and put him in the left-field stands. Lillis wound up throwing him out, but he hit a rocket off me.” * This near-fatal encounter between batted ball and gloved defender took place in the third inning and the shortstop in question was actually Glenn Vaughan, though Lillis, the every-day shortstop, had the day off, he would enter the game as a defensive replacement in the ninth.
 Related Sites
- Rob Trucks, Cup of Coffee: The Very Short Careers of Eighteen Major League Pitchers (New York, Smallmouth Press, 2002), p.115