From BR Bullpen
- School Haverford College
 Biographical Information
Byrnes set school records for home runs and RBI at Haverford College.
Byrnes joined the Cleveland Indians front office in 1994 and was the assistant director of scouting in 1997-1998 and the team's Scouting Director in 1999. He served as the assistant general manager for the Colorado Rockies (2000-2002) and Boston Red Sox (2003-2005). Byrnes then served as GM of the Diamondbacks from 2006 until July 1, 2010. He joined the San Diego Padres as Senior Vice President, Baseball Operations in 2011 and was named General Manager when Jed Hoyer was hired by the Chicago Cubs. He kept the position until being fired on June 22, 2014, with the Padres having finished well below .500 in both 2012 and 2013 and again being well off the pace in 2014.
He landed on his feet however after being fired the padres, however, as on November 6, he was hired by the Los Angeles Dodgers as the thirds member of a management triumvirated headed by new team President Andrew Freedman and also including GM Farhan Zaidi, who was hired on the same day. Byrnes was named senior Vice Presidnet of baseball operations, with responsibilities over the areas of scouting and player development, with Zaidi focusing on the major league club and player acquisitions, and Freedman on large business-related issues.
Joe Garagiola, Jr.
|Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager
|San Diego Padres General Manager
 Draft Picks
1st Round Picks
- 2006: 11th overall P Max Scherzer - University of Missouri
- 2006: 34th overall P Brooks Brown - University of Georgia
- 2007: 9th overall P Jarrod Parker - Norwell High School
- 2007: 50th overall P Wes Roemer - California State University, Fullerton
- 2007: 61st overall C Ed Easley - Mississippi State University
 Significant Trades
- December 20, 2005 traded Javier Vazquez to the Chicago White Sox for Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino and Chris Young
- December 27, 2005 traded Troy Glaus and Sergio Santos to the Toronto Blue Jays for Miguel Batista and Orlando Hudson
- November 25, 2006 traded Greg Aquino, Johnny Estrada and Claudio Vargas to the Milwaukee Brewers for Doug Davis, Dana Eveland and Dave Krynzel
- January 9, 2007 traded Luis Vizcaino, Steven Jackson, Ross Ohlendorf and Alberto Gonzalez to the New York Yankees for Randy Johnson