From BR Bullpen
John Joseph Gerhardt (Move Up Joe)
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 160 lb.
- Debut September 1, 1873
- Final Game April 29, 1891
- Born February 14, 1855 in Washington, DC USA
- Died March 11, 1922 in Middletown, NY USA
 Biographical Information
Joe Gerhardt was a weak-hitting second baseman who nevertheless played for many years in the majors due to his glove. In his 15-year career in the majors, from 1873-91, he hit only .227, but did have some decent years with the bat. In 1877, he hit .304, and in 1878 he hit .297. In 1883 he hit 9 triples and the next year he hit 8. He was the brother-in-law of George Winkleman.
He set the record, since surpassed, of playing for eleven teams in his career.
He managed twice in the majors and three years in the minors, with the Albany Senators from 1891-1893.
|St. Louis Browns Manager
 Records Held
- Lowest batting average, season (modern qualifier), .155, 1885