From BR Bullpen
John Joseph Gerhardt (Move Up Joe)
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 160 lb.
- Debut September 1, 1873
- Final Game April 29, 1891
- Born February 14, 1855 in Washington, DC USA
- Died March 11, 1922 in Middletown, NY USA
 Biographical Information
Joe Gerhardt was a weak-hitting second baseman who nevertheless played for many years in the majors due to his glove. In his 15-year career in the majors, from 1873-91, he hit only .227, but did have some decent years with the bat. In 1877, he hit .304, and in 1878 he hit .297. In 1883 he hit 9 triples and the next year he hit 8. He was the brother-in-law of George Winkleman.
He set the record, since surpassed, of playing for eleven teams in his career.
He managed twice in the majors and once in the minors.
|St. Louis Browns Manager
 Records Held
- Lowest batting average, season (modern qualifier), .155, 1885