From BR Bullpen
James Calvin Rollins
- Bats Both, Throws Right
- Height 5' 8", Weight 170 lb.
- High School Encinal High School
- Debut September 17, 2000
- Born November 27, 1978 in Oakland, CA USA
 Biographical Information
Jimmy Rollins is the leadoff hitter and starting shortstop for the Philadelphia Phillies. One of the fastest players in the game, Rollins consistently has about 30-40 stolen bases a year. Rollins also has a strong arm and is one of the top fielding shortstops in the game. However, Rollins is often criticized for swinging at the first pitch, which normally leads to him flying out or grounding out.
He became the first player in major league history to hit the first inside the park home run in two different parks in the same year, doing it in Citizens Bank Park against the Royals and Petco Park against the Padres in 2004.
On September 27, 2005, Rollins broke the Phillies record by getting a base hit in his 32nd consecutive game. The previous record of 31 games was set by Ed Delahanty in 1899. He finished the season with a 36-game hitting streak, the longest to close a season in history. The streak continued for two games at the start of the 2006 season, giving him a 38-game hitting streak over all, the 8th longest hitting streak in Major League history. In 2006, became the first Phillies shortstop to hit 17 home runs in a season since Granny Hamner over 50 years ago. He teamed up with Chase Utley to become the first Phillies double play combination to each hit 20 homers in a season and the first National League double play combination to hit at least 25 home runs each.
Rollins became the 4th player in MLB history to hit 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 home runs and steal 20 bases in the same season when he did so in 2007. He followed Frank Schulte (1911), Willie Mays (1957) and Curtis Granderson (also 2007). That performance was part of an outstanding year that earned Rollins the 2007 National League Most Valuable Player Award. His production fell back a bit in 2008 and while he was not an MVP candidate, he did lead the Phillies to only the second World Series title of their long history, a 4 games to 1 triumph over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Rollins is the cousin of outfielder Tony Tarasco. As a kid growing up in the Oakland area, Rickey Henderson was his favorite player. In Oakland he often played against future Florida Marlins starting pitcher Dontrelle Willis.
 Notable Achievements
- 2001 Topps All-Star Rookie Team
- 3-time NL All-Star (2001, 2002 & 2005)
- NL MVP (2007)
- 4-time NL Gold Glove Winner (2007-2009 & 2012)
- NL Silver Slugger Award Winner (2007)
- 4-time NL At Bats Leader (2001, 2002, 2007 & 2009)
- NL Runs Scored Leader (2007)
- 4-time NL Triples Leader (2001, 2002, 2004 & 2007)
- NL Stolen Bases Leader (2001)
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 4 (2006, 2007, 2009 & 2012)
- 30-Home Run Seasons: 1 (2007)
- 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 6 (2004-2007, 2009 & 2012)
- 200 Hits Seasons: 1 (2007)
- Won a World Series with the Philadelphia Phillies in 2008
|Ryan Howard||Jimmy Rollins||Albert Pujols|
 Records Held
- Plate appearances, season, 778, 2007
- Plate appearances, switch hitter, season, 778, 2007
- At-Bats, season, 716, 2007
- At-Bats, switch hitter, season, 716, 2007