James Timothy Burke
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 7", Weight 160 lb.
- Debut October 6, 1898
- Final Game October 8, 1905
- Born October 12, 1874 in St. Louis, MO USA
- Died March 26, 1942 in St. Louis, MO USA
Jimmy Burke was the regular third baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1903 to 1905 and was player-manager of the club for part of 1905. He then moved to the minors as manager of the Kansas City Blues in 1906 and 1907, the Louisville Colonels in 1908, Fort Wayne Billikens in 1910, the Indianapolis Indians in 1911 and 1912, and the Fort Wayne Railroaders in 1913.
Burke made it back to the majors as a Detroit Tigers coach from 1914 to 1917. He became manager of the St. Louis Browns in 1918 and held that position for two and a half years. He managed the Tulsa Oilers for part of 1921. He was a member of the Boston Red Sox staff from 1921 to 1923 before going back to the minors as skipper of the Toledo Mud Hens in 1924 and 1925. He was then a Chicago Cubs coach from 1926 to 1930 and ended his big league coaching career on the New York Yankees staff from 1931 to 1933.
|St. Louis Cardinals Manager
|St. Louis Browns Manager
Year-By-Year Managerial Record
- Gary Livacari: "Jimmy Burke", in Gregory H. Wolf, ed.: Winning on the North Side: the 1929 Chicago Cubs, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2015, pp. 190-193. ISBN 978-1-933599-89-2