- Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown
- Height 5' 11", Weight 180 lb.
- Debut September 6, 1884
- Final Game September 21, 1884
- Born February 14, 1860 in Jackson, MI USA
- Died July 28, 1905 in Jackson, MI USA
Jim Tray appeared in six games for the 1884 Indianapolis Hoosiers. He hit .286 while the team average was .233.
Tray was born, and died, in Jackson, MI, about 250 miles from Indianapolis. In the minors he played for a number of Michigan teams such as Jackson, Bay City, Saginaw and Kalamazoo, as well as for some teams outside of the state.
The SABR biography of Dan Abbott quotes the Jackson newspaper in 1889 regarding something Tray pulled: ""By a trick, Jim Tray who was coaching had Brown tag him while [baserunner] Blackstock slid in and was safe which raised a big ruckus."