Jason Thompson (thompja01)
From BR Bullpen
Jason Dolph Thompson (Roof-Top)
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 6' 3", Weight 210 lb.
- High School Apple Valley (CA) High School
- School California State University, Northridge
- Debut April 23, 1976
- Final Game June 23, 1986
- Born July 6, 1954 in Hollywood, CA USA
 Biographical Information
Thompson was born in 1954 in Hollywood, CA, in the same year and the same place as Craig Cacek. Thompson went to California State University, Northridge during 1973-75, and was there at the same time as Gil Kubski. After being drafted in the fourth round in 1975 by the Tigers, he was a regular for most of 1976, showing some power and drawing walks well although he hit only .218.
After four years with Detroit and part of a fifth, he was traded to the 1980 Angels, for whom he hit .317 and slugged .526 for the remainder of the season. He was traded to the 1981 Pirates just prior to the start of the 1981 season and spent five years with the Pirates. He finished his career with the 1986 Expos.
Lacking speed, Thompson played first base exclusively. Used some as DH by Angels in 1980.
Thompson was named to three All-Star teams. While he was never in the top ten in the MVP voting, he was in the top ten in homers three times and twice was second in the league in walks. Twice, Thompson hit the ball over the far, distant right field roof at Tiger Stadium, which earned him his nickname "Roof-Top".
 Notable Achievements
- 1976 Topps All-Star Rookie Team
- 3-time All-Star (1977, 1978 & 1982)
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 5 (1977-1980 & 1982)
- 30-Home Run Seasons: 2 (1977 & 1982)
- 100-RBI Seasons: 2 (1977 & 1982)
- 100-BB Seasons: 1 (1982)