Iron and Oil League
The Iron and Oil League was a minor league formed in the 1890's and existing from time to time in the 1890's and 1900's. In 1898 one of the teams was a black team, the Celeron Acme Colored Giants.
It is sometimes abbreviated as IOL.
- Bradford, PA: Bradford 1898
- Celeron, NY: Celeron 1895; Celeron Acme Colored Giants 1898
- Dunkirk, NY & Fredonia, NY: Dunkirk-Fredonia 1898
- Franklin, PA: Franklin 1895
- Meadville, PA: Meadville 1898
- New Castle, PA: New Castle Quakers 1895
- Oil City, PA: Oil City Oilers 1895, 1898
- Olean, NY: Olean 1898
- Sharon, PA: Sharon 1895
- Titusville, PA: Titusville 1895
- Dennison, OH & Uhrichsville, OH: Twin Cities Twins 1895
- Warren, PA: Warren 1895, 1898
- Wheeling, WV: Wheeling Nailers 1895
Teams and Statistics
1895 Iron And Oil League
President: Charles B. Powers
|Oil City Oilers||42||31||.575||.5||Guy Hecker|
|New Castle Quakers||40||33||.548||2.5||Will Thompson|
|Sharon/Celeron &||23||49||.319||19||Walter Herrington|
|Wheeling Nailers||19||13||.594||NA||William White/Al Buckenberger/Jack Glasscock|
|Twin Cities Twins @||7||21||.250||NA||Jack Darrah|
@ Represented Denison-Uhrichsville, OH
Wheeling and Twin Cities, from the Interstate League, entered the league July 16 for the second half.
& Sharon (16-29) moved to Celeron July 16 for the second half.
|John Easton||Oil City||PCT||.889 8-1|
1898 Iron And Oil League
|Olean @||31||24||.564||8.5||P.J. Joyce/Pop Hunter|
|Oil City Oilers/Dunkirk-Fredonia #||22||30||.423||16||Guy Hecker|
|Celeron Acme Colored Giants &||8||42||.160||29||Harry Curtis/C.W. Toboldt|
# Oil City (17-13) transferred to Dunkirk-Fredonia June 18
& The Black Clereon team disbanded July 5 and was replaced with a white team
@ Olean disbanded July 14, causing the league to disband.
The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball: Third Edition