You Are Here > Baseball-Reference.com > Bullpen > Huntington Avenue Grounds - BR Bullpen

Huntington Avenue Grounds

From BR Bullpen

Jump to: navigation, search
Huntington Avenue Grounds.jpg

Home of the Boston Red Sox, 1901 to 1911


CAPACITY: 9,000

FIRST GAME: May 8, 1901, vs. Philadelphia Athletics (Red Sox 12, Athletics 4)

LAST GAME: October 7, 1911, vs. Washington Senators (Red Sox 8, Senators 1)

HIGH SEASON ATTENDANCE: 668,965 (1909)

LOW SEASON ATTENDANCE: 289,448 (1901)

The first home of the Boston Red Sox, Huntington Avenue Baseball Grounds was located in a poor Irish district of Boston on a former circus site. Just across the tracks of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad from the Braves' home, South End Grounds, the ballpark was surrounded by factories, breweries, warehouses, and stables. The park was made up of three light gray cement grandstands, rickety wooden bleachers, and a 300 foot long covered lobby. The outfield was very misshapen, with a 635 foot deep centerfield, and featured hip-high weeds, patches of sand where grass would not grow, and a toolshed in play in the uphill sloping centerfield.

The Red Sox fielded an excellent team in their first seasons and in 1903 won the American League pennant, leading the league in home runs along the way, despite their park's immense center field.

The stadium was the site of the first World Series game between the modern American and National leagues in October, 1903. The Red Sox hosted the Pittsburgh Pirates here in the first four World Series games ever played, and ended up winning the series five games to three. The following season, on May 5th, Cy Young pitched the first perfect game of the 20th Century. On June 24, 1911, Red Sox President John J. Taylor announced a new park of concrete was to be built for the Red Sox, and the team played their last game here at the end of the season before moving to Fenway Park in 1912.

Today, Tufts Medical College and a Northeastern University athletic building are on the park's former site, as well as the World Series Exhibit Room in Cabot Cage, which housed mementos of the early Red Sox. A plaque marking the rightfield foul pole's location was dedicated in May 1956.

View of the Grounds in 1911
Personal tools