From BR Bullpen
Originally founded in 1979 as the Midwestern City Conference, the League was a men's-only sports conference until the 1986-87 academic year when it added women's athletics. The Horizon League offers 19 championships (nine men's sports and 10 women's sports). The League enjoys NCAA automatic qualification in baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's golf, men's soccer, women's soccer, softball, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's volleyball.
Charter members included Butler, Evansville, Loyola, Oklahoma City, Oral Roberts and Xavier. On June 4, 2001, the Horizon League changed its name from the Midwestern Collegiate Conference.
On May 17, 2006, Valparaiso University announced it will leave the Mid-Continent Conference and join the Horizon League beginning July 1, 2007 for the 2007-2008 academic year.
 2012 Conference Members & First Year of Baseball
- Butler Bulldogs - 1981
- UIC Flames - 1995
- Wright St. Raiders - 1995
- Milwaukee Panthers - 1995
- Youngstown St. Penguins - 2002
- Valparaiso Crusaders - 2008
 Former Baseball Members
- Xavier Musketeers - 1981-1995
- Oral Roberts Golden Eagles - 1981-1987
- Evansville Aces - 1981-1994
- OCU Stars - 1981-1985
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish - 1983-1986, 1988-1995
- Saint Louis Billikens - 1983-1991
- Dayton Flyers - 1988-1993
- LaSalle Explorers - 1993-1995
- Duquesne Dukes - 1993
- Northern Illinois Huskies - 1995-1997