Harry Smith (smithha01)
From BR Bullpen
Harry W. Smith
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 175 lb.
- Debut May 8, 1877
- Final Game August 19, 1889
- Born February 5, 1856 in North Vernon, IN USA
- Died June 4, 1898 in Queensville, IN USA
 Biographical Information
Harry W. Smith played in the 1877 National League and then came back for one game in the 1889 National League. Although there are three other players by the name "Harry Smith", he is the only one with the middle initial "W".
Smith played part of the 1877 season with the 1877 Chicago White Stockings and part with the 1877 Cincinnati Reds. Although he played no catcher with Chicago, Cincinnati used him primarily as a catcher. Apparently the White Stockings did not need him at catcher since the duties there were split between Cal McVey and Cap Anson that year.
Smith also played for several teams in the minors. He is listed as a part of the 1886 Topeka team, which may have been managed for part of the season by Welday Walker.
Smith managed the following:
- 1884 Northwestern (Ft Wayne)
- 1886 Virginia (Lynchburg)
- 1887 Penn. State Assn (Allentown)
- 1888 Tri-State (Toledo)
- 1889 Ohio State (Youngstown), Central Inter-State (Springfield)
- 1890 Western Inter-State (Indianapolis)
- 1891 Illinois-Iowa (Aurora)