From BR Bullpen
Guy Jackson Hecker
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 190 lb.
- Debut May 2, 1882
- Final Game September 30, 1890
- Born April 3, 1856 in Youngsville, PA USA
- Died December 3, 1938 in Wooster, OH USA
 Biographical Information
Guy Hecker achieved prominence as a pitcher, a position player and a hitter. He not only won 50 games in one season, but was also a batting champion. He appeared in 336 games as a pitcher, 322 as a first baseman and 75 as an outfielder. He was a major league manager in 1890.
He is one of only three pitchers to ever win 50+ games in a season in the major leagues. All of them did it in 1884 or 1885. Hecker's great season was in 1884 with the Louisville Eclipse of the American Association. He led the league in every major pitching category, including wins (52), ERA (1.80), innings pitched (670 ⅔) and strikeouts (385).
Hecker is also the only player to have ever scored 7 runs in a game; he did this in the second game of a doubleheader on August 15, 1886 with the Louisville Colonels. A number of players have since scored six runs in a game, but none has scored seven. Hecker was the pitcher in that game, and is believed to be the only player who holds a "good" offensive record that was set while pitching. Of course, he also won the AA's batting title that year, hitting .341, so his performance in that game was no freak occurrence.
He is also the only pitcher to win a batting title: he pitched in 49 games that year, while playing 22 at first base and 17 in the outfield. He was an umpire in the 1889 AA and was a player-manager in the minors at the end of his MLB career.
After baseball he was in the oil business and ran a grocery store.
 Notable Achievements
- AA Pitching Triple Crown (1884)
- AA ERA Leader (1884)
- AA Wins Leader (1884)
- AA Games Pitched Leader (1884)
- AA Innings Pitched Leader (1884)
- AA Strikeouts Leader (1884)
- AA Complete Games Leader (1884)
- AA Batting Average Leader (1886)
- 20 Wins Seasons: 4 (1883-1886)
- 30 Wins Seasons: 2 (1884 & 1885)
- 40 Wins Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 50 Wins Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 6 (1883-1888)
- 300 Innings Pitched Seasons: 4 (1883-1886)
- 400 Innings Pitched Seasons: 4 (1883-1886)
- 500 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 600 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 200 Strikeouts Seasons: 2 (1884 & 1885)
- 300 Strikeouts Seasons: 1 (1884)
|Pittsburgh Alleghenys Manager
 Records Held
Runs, game, 7, 8/15/1886 (second game)