From BR Bullpen
George Washington Newell
previously listed as T.E. Newell
- Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown
- Debut August 8, 1877
- Final Game August 8, 1877
- Born January 5, 1855 in St. Louis, MO USA
- Died March 19, 1936 in El Paso, TX USA
 Biographical Information
George Newell played one game at shortstop for the St. Louis Brown Stockings in 1877. The regular shortstop for the team was the famous Davy Force, while the 41-year-old (and also famous) Dickey Pearce appeared in eight games at shortstop for the team. Nothing is known about Newell, who was listed in most records as T.E. Newell, including where the two initials associated to his last name come from, except that he was a young amateur ballplayer from St. Louis, MO. He also played for Evansville in 1877.
An item in the St. Louis Evening Post of April 20, 1878, mentions a player named "F. Newell" with the Atlantic Club of Burlington, IA, whose secretary was one "F.E. Newell". Another source mentions a "George Newell", who played shortstop for an amateur team in St. Louis in 1877. This person, one George Washington Newell, born in St. Louis in 1855, and who died in El Paso, TX in 1936, is likely the missing ballplayer.
 Further Reading
- "The First Newell", in Bill Carle, ed.: Biographical Research Committee Report, SABR, March/April 2013, p. 2.
- "George Newell", in Bill Carle, ed.: Biographical Research Committee Report, SABR, March/April 2014, p. 2