Joseph Frederick Cone
- Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown
- Height 5' 10", Weight 171 lb.
- Debut May 5, 1871
- Final Game September 9, 1871
- Born May, 1848 in Rockford, IL USA
- Died April 13, 1909 in Chicago, IL USA
After baseball, Fred Cone worked as a hotel clerk in Chicago, IL. According to an account in the New York Times from 1896 about an old-timers' game:
"Fred Cone, who made his advent into Rockford in 1868 with his overalls in cowhide boots, as a member of the Stillman Valley 'Plowboys', now wears a gorgeous diamond in his shirtfront and is the day clerk of the Victoria Hotel."
Although born in Rockford, IL, an early hotbed of baseball, when the National Association started, he was signed by Harry Wright and played for the Boston Red Stockings. On July 12, 1871, he got five hits in a game.